Thread: ABSENT FRIENDS

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

ABSENT FRIENDS

There are many…but in June this year, I sent an email to two that I was particularly concerned about:

Dean Wakeman (Estate Pipes UK) – S. Wales had been badly hit by floods and then by Covid-19 and for a while his website was shut down.

I’m delighted to say that I have just received a long email reply. He has had problems with family illness and bereavement and is now heavily involved in home schooling (age 9-10 maths this morning!). However, his business is ticking over and he is keeping his pecker up (so to speak)

He asks that I pass on a message – “Please say Hi to Ally & the crew if you get a chance, I will be returning to the forums soon & look forward to posting with you all again.” I will encourage him to do just that. The PSU “Banter Merchants” are sadly depleted these days!. ..

Troy Lloyd (misterlowercase) – a genius and true guru of pipe and tobacco lore. I was worried about mlc for other reasons.
    I have not heard back and hope he has simply changed his email server. If anyone else has heard from him recently, please send me a PM.
    Last edited by plugugly; 10-14-2020 at 10:48.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for the update Chris, Dean has been sorely missed on here and I for one look forward to welcoming him back with open arms, the place just hasn't been the same, Then we have Billy and Bill MIA as well, As for MLC sorry I can't help you with him, I've never heard from him since he left.

The old day's were somewhat special esp on a weekend when the banter was at it's best, I miss those times!

Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for this.

PM sent about Troy - may be out of date though.
    Last edited by jimbo44; 10-14-2020 at 11:58.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

The more the merrier. Life can get in the way at times. Even Simon G has been disappearing lately.....I wonder if there's a woman involved?

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Troy/MLC was a self confessed Anglophile & 'Anorak'. His posts were the best I've ever seen on the forum. An absolute pleasure to read through. Would of loved to share a pint with him & just talk about pipes & tobacco. Sorely missed, I hope he's well & good.
    And Jesper aka 'Dunstan Halliwell' I miss his photos & his humour. Yes, glass raised to Jesper & Troy. Absent friends.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Troy/MLC was a self confessed Anglophile & 'Anorak'. His posts were the best I've ever seen on the forum. An absolute pleasure to read through. Would of loved to share a pint with him & just talk about pipes & tobacco. Sorely missed, I hope he's well & good.
    And Jesper aka 'Dunstan Halliwell' I miss his photos & his humour. Yes, glass raised to Jesper & Troy. Absent friends.
    Simon, I absolutely agree with all you say about Jesper - I just didn't have his personal contacts.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Simon, I absolutely agree with all you say about Jesper - I just didn't have his personal contacts.
    No, I haven't got them either. I had Troy's address & we used to send each other stuff, but I haven't heard from him since he went quite on here. He used to put his heart & soul into a lot of his posts, maybe he burnt himself out or just got sick of the forums?
    I remember jorgen saying he catches up with Jesper, but I do worry for him. If I remember rightly he shared his flat with an intimidating wife & an even more intimidating cat. Continually living in fear of both! Lol Remember his cat? Perishing thing was huge! Bigger than a tiger!! Poor old Jesper, must have slept with one eye open. Hopefully jorgen will send him our best wishes & check up on him.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    No, I haven't got them either. I had Troy's address & we used to send each other stuff, but I haven't heard from him since he went quite on here. He used to put his heart & soul into a lot of his posts, maybe he burnt himself out or just got sick of the forums?
    I remember jorgen saying he catches up with Jesper, but I do worry for him. If I remember rightly he shared his flat with an intimidating wife & an even more intimidating cat. Continually living in fear of both! Lol Remember his cat? Perishing thing was huge! Bigger than a tiger!! Poor old Jesper, must have slept with one eye open. Hopefully jorgen will send him our best wishes & check up on him.
    I did ask Jorgen a while ago, but he doesn't have the personal contacts of Jesper either.

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

Aye Lads, they ALL be missed in one way er another... Light up a bowl t be keeping the flame lit fer em all... Huzzah!!
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." — Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

And let us not forget the Missouri Meerschaum Man Corndog.
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.