Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of tobacco

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Future of tobacco

Hello all,

I'm Stuart and live in the UK, have recently returned to pipe smoking after a 6year break. Am pleased to be back and have recently joined the forum so good to meet you all.

Have been having a look at the tax from tobacco products in the UK today seems like the UK makes 8.8 billion per year from tobacco tax, to give some context that is in comparison to 11 thousand million from alcohol. The biggest tobacco export seems to be from British America Tobacco to Turkey, and Gawith Hoggath is turning a 1,000,000 profit per year. What do you think the future of the smoking market will be? I have it on good authority that in the states the market has been rising for the past 5years in terms of pipes and tobacco sales... although there are places which have banned the sale of tobacco (I think it was Beverly Hills which will be coming in soon), and Australia which has had the huge price hike to $125 for 50g tins of pipe tobacco... Internationally it seems like a bit of a mixed bag, I'm wondering what the savings are to the health economy of attempting to reduce smoking vs tax income from tobacco products? Also, with the push towards electronic cars there will also be the factor of reduced tax from fuel which in the UK is currently around 60p per litre so another factor that the government would need to consider, all this in the current climate of reduced economic growth and expenses due to Covid. Interested to hear others thoughts, ideas and any suggested reading on this?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hi Stuart good to have you here.

Here in Argentina domestically produced tobacco products are very cheap. For instance a 50gr pouch of pipe tobacco only costs around the equivalent of 4 and a packet of cigarettes is just over 1. On the other hand imported pipe tobacco from the UK is now on par with prices in the UK. I suspect it must be heavily taxed to protect the local product.
    Thankfully the quality of the Argentine produced product is now on par with the best. It just lacks in the number of blends available.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello Crawford,

Good to be here

That's great to hear that the Argentine produced tobacco is of good quality, and 4 per pouch that's fantastic you certainly would begrudge having another bowl at that price would you. That makes sense in terms of protecting the local product with the import tax...

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    Hello Crawford,

Good to be here

That's great to hear that the Argentine produced tobacco is of good quality, and 4 per pouch that's fantastic you certainly would begrudge having another bowl at that price would you. That makes sense in terms of protecting the local product with the import tax...
    The main domestically produced brand used to come very dry due to poor packaging. Since introducing it in better sealed pouches it's improved tenfold. There is a lack of choice more's the pity however thankfully I do like three of the non aromatic type blends which exist. I 'improve' them further by pressing them for a week or two. Must admit I was sceptical that pressing would work but was happy to be proved wrong.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Would be interested to see photos Crawford, of the tobacco and also your pressing devise - sounds like a great system. Great to hear that the tobacco has improved too, I think personally that a tobacco loses something once it dehydrates as never seems to quite has its original quality when rehydrated. Have you or anyone else found this?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    Would be interested to see photos Crawford, of the tobacco and also your pressing devise - sounds like a great system. Great to hear that the tobacco has improved too, I think personally that a tobacco loses something once it dehydrates as never seems to quite has its original quality when rehydrated. Have you or anyone else found this?
    The pressing system I use is very basic and simple and best of all cost me nothing!!

All I do is push and press the tobacco in the pouch with my fingers as hard as I can into one half of the pouch. Then place it between two bits of wood put. it in the bench vice I have and tighten it as much as I can.. The moisture content of the tobacco is important. Too dry and it won't stay together too wet and you'll squeeze the moisture out of it. I tend to leave it for a week however the one I have in at the mo has been in there for over a week now.
    The main reason I do it is because the ribbon cut burns too quickly for my liking. After pressing it burns more like a ready rubbed flake does as well as making the flavour of the tobacco stronger.

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

Aye Mr Stuart, Welcome Aboard! Glad t be seein a new shipmate come back aft an absence without leave! I dunnae know 'bout them taxes as I tries hard t avoid them! whistle.gif On the loss o baccies I 'as lamented long 'boot them. The FDA be the bain o the hobby. They 'ave managed t block some o the best in the world from comin to the US. Not countin the number o companies round the world that 'ave gone out o business due to their oppressive regulations...
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Pipe smoker since

Hi again Stuart
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome back to the pipe, Stuart.

Pipe smoker since
    February 2016

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good to meet you too Stuart and welcome to PSU & back to the land of piping.
    Livin' the pipe dream....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast