Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Calabash pipe stand

  1. #1
    PSU Member _sobx_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Coastal North Carolina
    Pipe smoker since
    2004
    Posts
    17


    14 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Calabash pipe stand

    I hope "accessories" is the right place for this.

    I don't mean to brag, but I'm sort of proud of this Red Oak pipe stand I made for my Calabash last year. I bought the calabash at an antique store, had never been smoked, for $40.
    But I didn't have a way to display/store it without laying it down on it's side. I thought it turned out pretty well, especially for a hack with no formal woodworking training.

    Calabash0.jpeg

    Calabash1.jpeg

    Calabash2.jpeg

    Calabash3.jpeg

    Calabash4.jpeg
    Last edited by _sobx_; 02-04-2021 at 12:52.

  2. #2
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    14,971


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by _sobx_ View Post
    I hope "accessories" is the right place for this.

    I don't mean to brag, but I'm sort of proud of this Red Oak pipe stand I made for my Calabash last year. I bought the calabash at an antique store, had never been smoked, for $40.
    But I didn't have a way to display/store it without laying it down on it's side. I thought it turned out pretty well, especially for a hack with no formal woodworking training.

    Calabash0.jpeg

    Calabash1.jpeg

    Calabash2.jpeg

    Calabash3.jpeg

    Calabash4.jpeg
    Great work _sobx_. I have a 1906 Astley and a 1906 Loewe calabash that perch precariously on my Dunhill pipe rest!!

  3. #3
    Moderator Markus1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Oberhausen, Germany
    Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.
    Posts
    2,691


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Hello,

    And a belated welcome to PSU, _sobx_,

    I think you have every reason to be proud. I can only just tell a hammer from a nail, but to me this looks well made and certainly suitable for a pipe as elegant as the calabash.

    (I've removed the double post.)

    Best wishes
    Markus

  4. #4
    Moderator jimbo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Pipe smoker since
    1960
    Posts
    13,939


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    A router certainly makes things possible - nice work.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

  5. #5
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    10,167


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Looks very nice indeed!

  6. #6
    PSU Member Simon G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hereford. England
    Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since
    1988
    Posts
    4,771


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Very Nice!

  7. #7
    PSU Member _sobx_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Coastal North Carolina
    Pipe smoker since
    2004
    Posts
    17


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,

    And a belated welcome to PSU, _sobx_,

    I think you have every reason to be proud. I can only just tell a hammer from a nail, but to me this looks well made and certainly suitable for a pipe as elegant as the calabash.

    (I've removed the double post.)

    Best wishes
    Markus
    Thanks for the assistance, Sir. I don't know how I managed to do it, but I couldn't figure out how to delete it. And thanks for the kind comments.

  8. #8
    PSU Member coalsmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Just another small town in Ohio
    Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back
    Posts
    9,460


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Very ingenious and fine work. What a great idea!
    Russ

    A simple life creates more time for living.

  9. #9
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    10,167


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by _sobx_ View Post
    Thanks for the assistance, Sir. I don't know how I managed to do it, but I couldn't figure out how to delete it. And thanks for the kind comments.
    PM sent. You should be all set.

  10. #10
    PSU Member JustScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    PacNW
    Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's
    Posts
    133


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    That's an excellent stand, and pipe. I just received a calabash in the mail today - hallmarked to my Grandad's birthyear (1909). This is a new experience for me, so a lot of googling was involved. Mine is apparently a gourd, and has no bowl - just a silver rim. So I've started cleaning it by scraping out the bowl and running bristle-pipecleaners and wire brushes through it. Very nasty and ineffective. Now I've got a salt/alcohol soak going.

    Do I need to get a bowl insert - meerschaum or similar? or can it be smoked as-is, as the previous owner apparently did? Thanks - I'm new to such pipes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •