Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I think I have to retire my pipe.

  1. #1
    PSU Member Pyrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Lincoln, CA
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016
    Posts
    51


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I think I have to retire my pipe.

    It's a Savinelli and has always been my favorite. Always the mellowest, easiest drawing, just generally great smoke.

    However, after I'd guess 7 years of favoring it, it started going bitter and harsh with same tobacco as always and same as smokes well in my OTHER pipes.
    I've cleaned it. Pretty regularly. Just tried scraping coke and soaking the bowl in rum for an hour or so combined with a cleaning using a dottle scoop, wire reinforced pipe cleaners and soft pipe cleaners.
    Dried it out good an lit up again.
    Same story.

    Have I forgotten anything? I mean PIPE related forgot.

    I will miss the old thing.

  2. #2
    PSU Member Simon G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hereford. England
    Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since
    1988
    Posts
    4,579


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Only '1' hour soak of rum? Well, there's your problem right there. I soak cotton wool buds in woods's navy rum & leave them packed tight in the bowl for 2-3 days. Never a problem after that.

  3. #3
    PSU Member oldpipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    USA,Ct.
    Pipe smoker since
    1957
    Posts
    5,419


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
    It's a Savinelli and has always been my favorite. Always the mellowest, easiest drawing, just generally great smoke.

    However, after I'd guess 7 years of favoring it, it started going bitter and harsh with same tobacco as always and same as smokes well in my OTHER pipes.
    I've cleaned it. Pretty regularly. Just tried scraping coke and soaking the bowl in rum for an hour or so combined with a cleaning using a dottle scoop, wire reinforced pipe cleaners and soft pipe cleaners.
    Dried it out good an lit up again.
    Same story.

    Have I forgotten anything? I mean PIPE related forgot.

    I will miss the old thing.
    It will smoke better in a new home port
    ​Tom

  4. #4
    PSU Member Pyrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Lincoln, CA
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016
    Posts
    51


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Only '1' hour soak of rum? Well, there's your problem right there. I soak cotton wool buds in woods's navy rum & leave them packed tight in the bowl for 2-3 days. Never a problem after that.
    Urk. I used CHEAPO rum. My go-to is Jamesons.

  5. #5
    PSU Member Pyrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Lincoln, CA
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016
    Posts
    51


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Do you have to replenish the rum? Also how do you get the cotton balls out? Or do you just smoke them?


  6. #6
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    10,097


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Did you thoroughly clean tha mortise? A lot of tars can build up inside the mortise and effect the way the pipe "tastes". Get some isopropyl alcohol, wet a twisted up piece of paper towel, insert tightly into the mortise, let sit for 20~30 minutes, and see what you get.

  7. #7
    IT p120d16y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since
    2012
    Posts
    4,876


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    As Dave said, do make sure to clean out the mortise (where the stem attaches in the shank) and the entire internal shank area. It's notorious for pockets of hard to see and reach moisture build up, and also I recommend cleaning pipes with pure grain alcohol. Either 95% Everclear, or 100% Extractohol grain alcohol. Using 40-50% alcohol by volume solutions is not very effective when you're just using half water at that point. Everclear does a very good job at cleaning pipes and leaving only a neutral clean taste. Also key is that pure alcohol is not soaking into the wood and it evaporates very quickly.

    Isopropyl is fine as well but can leave a taste and also should be over 90%. The typical 70% although it can work, it does a really poor job comparatively.

  8. #8
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    10,097


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    An illustration of what I was talking about with cleaning the mortise, and it still has a long way to go.

    pipedanmortise 005.jpg

  9. #9
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    14,399


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    An illustration of what I was talking about with cleaning the mortise, and it still has a long way to go.

    pipedanmortise 005.jpg
    A horrible but familiar sight!!

  10. #10
    PSU Member Pyrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Lincoln, CA
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016
    Posts
    51


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    La pipa esta muerte.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •