Thread: JOINING THE FORUM

Real Name
    Dave

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

JOINING THE FORUM

I should have made this announcement months ago. Due to the absolute deluge of spammers attempting to sign up for the forum, I've placed the site in "admin activation only" mode. That means that I have to individually evaluate and activate each account request that comes through. This takes up quite a bit of time, but I do try to keep on top of it. Be patient. Because this is a manual process, it may take a few days. Usually not, but sometimes. After you've been activated, please introduce your self in the introductions forum.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    I should have made this announcement months ago. Due to the absolute deluge of spammers attempting to sign up for the forum, I've placed the site in "admin activation only" mode. That means that I have to individually evaluate and activate each account request that comes through. This takes up quite a bit of time, but I do try to keep on top of it. Be patient. Because this is a manual process, it may take a few days. Usually not, but sometimes. After you've been activated, please introduce your self in the introductions forum.
    Thanks Dave - a tough and time consuming task. In my view, a personal introduction is very important, perhaps even a requirement?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good on you Dave.

The Pipesmagazine forum has a very strange and OTT method of deterrent....here's hoping PSU doesn't do the same. It pisses me off every few weeks.

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Just figured I'd chime in here since I've not replied in this thread. I also get the email lists of new user sign ups, and I see 99.99% of them as spam Russian and Ukrainian IPs and very fake and stolen email addresses. We do need to address some changes to this process to ease the load on manual verification and I'd intended to get into CloudFlare and do some geo-blocking of that region. I will try to find some time soon to do so.

Real Name
    Dave

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Just figured I'd chime in here since I've not replied in this thread. I also get the email lists of new user sign ups, and I see 99.99% of them as spam Russian and Ukrainian IPs and very fake and stolen email addresses. We do need to address some changes to this process to ease the load on manual verification and I'd intended to get into CloudFlare and do some geo-blocking of that region. I will try to find some time soon to do so.
    That would be great, I check it manually at least twice a day.