Thread: Creepy Wolf Meer

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Creepy Wolf Meer

Here's the creepiest-looking pipe I've ever owned. The teeth and eyes are very well-defined, so I imagine the entire pipe once was much better-defined, but it has been well-loved by an earlier owner, and now looks...creepy. Other evidence that it's well-worn is a faux bamboo shank - clearly this had been much better-defined - and the collar/harness around his neck. Not to mention his now bulbous nose.

Repair: it arrived with a broken amber stem that was very old but not original. I found a beautiful bent milky yellow amber stem with a tenon that fit the stummel, but I dropped the stem and broke it in half. I then found a bone tenon that fit, but it got stuck in the new black acrylic stem and I ended up breaking the tenon. These are the only two accidents I've had with a pipe repair, so I was getting a little afraid of the demonic wolf, but try #3 was a great success! I found another bone tenon and a Redmanol stem that matched, but it would only go about 1/3" into the stem and the same for the wolf head. I sanded it down, worked on the stummel, and ended up with a perfect match.

But the main thing is - it smokes like a dream. The wolf is finally tamed! It had a bad smell in it that I could not completely eradicate after more effort than normal (like wet fur or perhaps scent glands?), so I smoked a latakia blend in it and it's now getting much better. The draw is absolutely perfect - it's just that funky smell I still have to work on.

20210323_100727.jpeg
    20210323_100014.jpeg
    20210323_100643.jpeg
    Last edited by JustScott; 03-23-2021 at 17:43.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Minor Update: I just took the pipe outside and the sun shining on the stem illuminated some natural garbage in the stem, so it's amber rather than Redmanol. I thought it was Redmanol because it did not react adversely to alcohol as Bakelite does, and I don't know the properties of Redmanol, assuming it was the same as Bakelite, just earlier and a different color. I just compared it to some actual Redmanol pipes I have, and it's not really even close. Redmanol is basically 'perfect'.

But it doesn't matter what it's made of, as it's now part of the permanent collection.