Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peterson 1905 Patent + Comoy's pre-1920

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Peterson 1905 Patent + Comoy's pre-1920

Anyone have a good eye for London hallmarks? I'm thinking this is 1919 on the Comoys, but not certain. I'll post pics of the pipes when I get them cleaned up tonight.

20210405_184730 2.jpeg

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JustScott View Post
    Anyone have a good eye for London hallmarks? I'm thinking this is 1919 on the Comoys, but not certain. I'll post pics of the pipes when I get them cleaned up tonight.

20210405_184730 2.jpeg
    I agree 1919
    see page 12
    https://webarchive.nationalarchives....hallmarks2.pdf

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

I figured it out. Once the Fitz polish worked its magic, it was obviously 1919's old English 'd'.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post

Thank you.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here are the 'before' and 'after' pics of the Comoy's. This was a simple restoration. Trying to be as non-intrusive as possible, I scrubbed the stem down with Magic Eraser/alcohol, then polished with B&A fine, then Xfine. I polished the ferrule with Fitz. I rubbed the bowl down with B&A Balm. It's possible I'll need to go back over it with Carnuba. No sandpaper or soap scrubbing.

20210405_162718 2.jpeg
    20210406_105722 2.jpeg
    Last edited by JustScott; 04-06-2021 at 18:09.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

and the 1905 Peterson Patent, with AB stem. The restoration was a bit more complex than the Comoy's, and I still need to rub on a few coats of pure Carnuba. The bowl was very light and dry, and had a crack under the ferrule that extended from the top of the shank down to about 1/4" below the ferrule. I started by scrubbing out a very caked and nasty bowl, then scraping cake off the rim. There was still some roughness and some char just below the rim in various spots. I carefully used some 1200 grit on the rim and used a very sharp small-blade pocket-knife to remove charring on the side of the bowl beneath the rim (if you don't do this, and then use oil, you'll have a very dark line around your rim). I repaired the shank crack by filling in with thin superglue yesterday, pushing it in with a needle, then clamping and wiping off the excess. I always try the clamps several different ways in advance, just to make sure I have the proper positioning when the glue is applied. This morning I scraped off excess with a sharp pocket-knife, then sanded with 1200 grit. The tiny bit of the crack below the ferrule is 'gone'.

On old pipes like this, especially rare ones, I do everything I can to save the original finish, but that was impossible in this case - the bowl was so dry that it was going to need a good oil soaking. The stain was a little irregular, meaning the bottom layer was probably all that was left. So I scrubbed the bowl down good with Murphy's soap, then used neutral Danish Oil to revitalize the wood and add a little darkness that was probably originally there. I'll let it sit for about 8-10 hours, then add Carnuba wax. Normally I would go through the micromesh pad progression to get a shine similar to the original, but I don't want to remove any of the stamping. It even has stamping on the bottom of the stem 'Peterson's Patent'.

The stem was easy - just scrubbed with Magic Eraser/alcohol, then polished with B&A Fine - no need for XFine. No sandpaper (big no-no for stems, IMO).

20210405_162934 2 2.jpeg
    20210406_104552 2.jpeg
    Last edited by JustScott; 04-06-2021 at 18:21.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Cracking job, Scott! The Comoy looks particularly resplendent.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Cracking job, Scott! The Comoy looks particularly resplendent.
    Thanks Simon. I take very little credit for the Comoy - I basically just cleaned it. The bowl is original thickness, smooth and basically new condition. The Peterson, on the other hand - scary at times.

I paid a lot for these two, but I 'HAD' to have that Pete. It's a 1905 stamped 'Dublin', which Mark Irwin documented as only occurring in silver hallmarked 1906-12 pipes, so this is an early outlier. I soon as I realized that, I contacted the seller and he gave me a very fair deal. I bought the Comoy thinking it was a 1903 (my fault), so it could have been an even sweeter deal.
    Last edited by JustScott; 04-06-2021 at 18:25.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here's the Pete after three layers of Carnuba (and done):

20210406_142303 2.jpeg

Real Name
    Dave

I don't know how I missed this thread yesterday! I would agree about the 1919 hallmark on the Comoy's, and would say that is definitely the original stem just by its shape. As expected for the grade, Old Bruyere, and the period no C on the stem. I have an old Prima, 1916 as I recall, also with no C on the stem. Beautiful old pipes there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast