Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PAD Musings & An Eight Pipe Solution?

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

PAD Musings & An Eight Pipe Solution?

After seeing @paulfg managing (impressively so) to thin down his collection, I decided to try & do the same. It's been annoying me for some time that I can't adhere to some sort of 'rotation'. With just too many pipes it's not happening. Had a good sort out a few weeks ago & set out the pipe 'shapes' I always reach for. Took a photo & it only comes to Eight pipes. From L-R: a Zulu, Pot, Canadian, Prince, Billiard, Cutty, Bent & a Lovat. What do you think, any 'must have' shape I've missed?

image.jpg

Of course, I'll need to add either a smooth or a blast copy of each pipe....also need to include a 'spare' in case of future loss or damage, which takes the number of pipes required to 32! Much more than 8 but still makes for a more practical number, I think. I'd love to know how Paul did it, any thoughts or advice gentlemen would be most appreciated. Whatever the solution, it would appear to be more than an '8 pipe problem'.

image.gif
    Last edited by Simon G; 04-06-2021 at 20:07.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    After seeing @paulfg managing (impressively so) to thin down his collection, I decided to try & do the same. It's been annoying me for some time that I can't adhere to some sort of 'rotation'. With just too many pipes it's not happening. Had a good sort out a few weeks ago & set out the pipe 'shapes' I always reach for. Took a photo & it only comes to Eight pipes. From L-R: a Zulu, Pot, Canadian, Prince, Billiard, Cutty, Bent & a Lovat. What do you think, any 'must have' shape I've missed?

image.jpg

Of course, I'll need to add either a smooth or a blast copy of each pipe....also need to include a 'spare' in case of future loss or damage, which takes the number of pipes required to 32! Much more than 8 but still makes for a more practical number, I think. I'd love to know how Paul did it, any thoughts or advice gentlemen would be most appreciated. Whatever the solution, it would appear to be more than an '8 pipe problem'.

image.gif
    I don't see a bulldog or a Rhodesian, so presume you don't like them. Nor a "chubby - I don't like them either. An Oom Paul peut-etre? That would suit you! Lol One shape I like is the brandy, bent or otherwise.
    Last edited by plugugly; 04-06-2021 at 20:17.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A smooth or blast copy won't ensure it's going to be as good a smoker Simon, every pipe has it's own identities and quirks, and briar for one pipe won't always suit another, as for shape only you can decide what you like, it's good fun looking though!

Real Name
    Dave

I'm DEFINITELY the wrong person to ask. That bent billiard is a Sasieni made pipe isn't it? I was admiring it recently when you posted it in the WIYP thread recently.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    I don't see a bulldog or a Rhodesian, so presume you don't like them. Nor a "chubby - I don't like them either. An Oom Paul peut-etre? That would suit you! Lol One shape I like is the brandy, bent or otherwise.
    I do have a nice little Oom Paul, might have to put that one in a separate box of 'Reserves'....never got into Bulldogs or the brandy shape.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    I'm DEFINITELY the wrong person to ask. That bent billiard is a Sasieni made pipe isn't it? I was admiring it recently when you posted it in the WIYP thread recently.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Hmmm...you're keeping quiet then? Lol. No Dave, the bent is a Shamrock (Peterson).

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

I do have a nice little Oom Paul, might have to put that one in a separate box of 'Reserves'....never got into Bulldogs or the brandy shape.
    I think a big Oom Paul jaw-hanger would suit you - sitting there in a pub garden scaring the shite out of everyone. You'd always have a table to yourself! LOL

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    A smooth or blast copy won't ensure it's going to be as good a smoker Simon, every pipe has it's own identities and quirks, and briar for one pipe won't always suit another, as for shape only you can decide what you like, it's good fun looking though!
    You're right ally but I'm referring to copies of pipe shapes I've already got. 8 favourite shapes of which I've got far too many copies. Well over 100 pipes now! Time to 'cut the herd' or get myself sectioned! Lol.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

You're right ally but I'm referring to copies of pipe shapes I've already got. 8 favourite shapes of which I've got far too many copies. Well over 100 pipes now! Time to 'cut the herd' or get myself sectioned! Lol.
    So, what is the problem? Just get shut of 92.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast