Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show Your Oldest Meerschaum

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Show Your Oldest Meerschaum

I saw someone post an 1844 hallmarked meer, so thought I'd see what else is around. I'll post my pre-1900 ones later, as they will pale in comparison to that beautiful 1844 - I think my oldest hallmarked may be a 1900 Peterson. Perhaps I should have stated 'Peterson' so I could have bragging rights? ...or would I?!?

Let's see them. Okay...here's my Pete. It's in the process of being restored. It had a coloring disc which it took me literally months to remove. Now I've got a load of cake to get out. The stem is cracked cleanly in two, which actually is the simplest of the repairs - it has the old patent mouth piece with the hole directly in the end. The worst part of it is that the silver ferrule was re-glued to the shank incorrectly, so I need to get that off and get it put back on correctly.

20200826_152116 copy.jpg
    Last edited by JustScott; 04-23-2021 at 20:18.
    ...to the topTop

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Well, this was a dud thread idea.

Please delete - thanks.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice Pipe though I would have it finished by a professional in order to bring out the true value of it.

Jon
    ...to the topTop

Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JustScott View Post
    Well, this was a dud thread idea. Please delete - thanks.

We in UK were all abed - several hours ahead of you!

Early 20th century DMD:

DMD.jpg
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes
    ...to the topTop

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    We in UK were all abed - several hours ahead of you!

Early 20th century DMD:

DMD.jpg

Oh dear, Cannae have that.

My offering is vicarious, on behalf of the good rockbass who is too modest to post it again.

This is an 1843 Meer, hallmarked Birmingham and with the silverware fashioned by the renowned Birmingham silversmith Joseph Willmore. He is said to have stopped working around 1843, so this may one of his last works. I have seen mention of a single churchwarden bowl of his sold by Christie's for , nothing else in the pipe line - so Thomas' Meer is extremely rare.

The full story of this pipe's discovery can be seen in another thread, but I can assure everyone that it smokes, and does so very well.

My photo below shows how well it responded to Dean (a professional restorer) and his expert ministrations:

Swan.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 04-24-2021 at 09:58.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Pretty sure this is Edwardian.
    image.jpg

Although this is probably older.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Simon G; 04-24-2021 at 10:28.
    ...to the topTop

Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Although this is probably older.

image.jpg

Very similar W H Carrington:WHC.jpg
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by etecjon View Post
    Nice Pipe though I would have it finished by a professional in order to bring out the true value of it.

Jon
    I hope you aren't saying that based on having seen some of my 'before & after' restoration photos. During the restorations of the 200 or so pipes I have done in the last year I've received nothing but compliments. I've also done a few for members of other forums and restored a few as gifts. If you have the stomach for such stuff, you can see some of my work over at PSD.

On the other hand, I don't sell my services. Same for billiard cue restorations that I've been doing for over twenty years, as well as Fedora restorations, daguerreotype (and case) restorations, photo cabinet mount repair and restorations, including calligraphy, etc. I purchase the objects, restore them, then either add to my personal collection or re-sell the items.
    Last edited by JustScott; 04-24-2021 at 12:31.
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Oh dear, Cannae have that.

My offering is vicarious, on behalf of the good rockbass who is too modest to post it again.

This is an 1843 Meer, hallmarked Birmingham and with the silverware fashioned by the renowned Birmingham silversmith Joseph Willmore. He is said to have stopped working around 1843, so this may one of his last works. I have seen mention of a single churchwarden bowl of his sold by Christie's for , nothing else in the pipe line - so Thomas' Meer is extremely rare.

The full story of this pipe's discovery can be seen in another thread, but I can assure everyone that it smokes, and does so very well.

My photo below shows how well it responded to Dean (a professional restorer) and his expert ministrations:

Swan.jpg
    That's one of the most beautiful pipes I've seen on this forum, and it's also the reason I purchased two of similar shape recently.

Regarding restoration, I'm really glad that you and Jon have mentioned Dean. I'm obviously new here, but I get the sense that you all are mostly UK, and that you have your favorite restorer you go to - Dean. That's all good information for me, because there are generally two things I like to discuss on pipe forums other than just general fun talking with other pipe-smokers: Pipe history (mostly Peterson) and restoration, as it's a passion of mine.

I had planned on sharing 'before, during & after' restoration photos of various pipes, but was waiting until I got my website up for photo hosting, as I didn't want to bog down your forum's photo storage. But the last thing I would want to do is look like competition to one of your friends, even though I don't sell my services, so I will refrain from discussing restorations further.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JustScott View Post
    I hope you aren't saying that based on having seen some of my 'before & after' restoration photos. During the restorations of the 200 or so pipes I have done in the last year I've received nothing but compliments. I've also done a few for members of other forums and restored a few as gifts. If you have the stomach for such stuff, you can see some of my work over at PSD.

On the other hand, I don't sell my services. Same for billiard cue restorations that I've been doing for over twenty years, as well as Fedora restorations, daguerreotype (and case) restorations, photo cabinet mount repair and restorations, including calligraphy, etc. I purchase the objects, restore them, then either add to my personal collection or re-sell the items.

I apologize Sir. I didn't mean to insult You but I didn't have any knowledge of your expertise in so many types of restoration's.I just hope that I didn't bruise Your ego too much.

Jon
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast