Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott's Merchant Service Sandy Row review

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Scott's Merchant Service Sandy Row review

I don't do reviews generally, but this stuff made my morning, so I'll blurt out some nonsense. As I do with anything KBV sells that is straight VA or VaPer, I took my time choosing the perfect pipe, anticipating in advance a special morning smoke. A bing would have been the obvious choice, but I don't have any, so I ended up choosing a chubby 1930's Peterson 308 '0' quality birdseye grain that only gets the best VA's.

This was a very smooth 'soft' smoke of perfectly tamed Virginias. As I enjoyed the bowl, a little confused at all the flavors, it began to change a little 1/3 of the way in and I began detecting a faint hint of the kind of baby powder of the old Condor or maybe a touch of the perfume of Cannon. I know there is no such thing in this blend, but there must be just a little floral coming from one or more of the VA's., which is my way of saying that this is not a typical VA blend - the complexities of the various Virginias had me also thinking I was smoking something that might have had a little Perique in it if I didn't know better.

If you are a straight VA lover and want something a little different, this could be your smoke.

Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

KBV?
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Dave

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    KBV?
    Ken Byron Ventures

https://kbven.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    KBV?
    Sold by KBV. My understanding is that KBV works with new blenders to come up with some of these, but Jim would know. The ones he's selling that I believe this is true of are: Yoshimi, Eldritch and now Merchant Service. How much he is involved, I have no idea - it could be anywhere from 0 to 100%

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    For some reason I thought Jim told me he hadn't yet received his sample. In any case, I acquire tobacco based on the blender's description and try not to read Jim's review until after I've tried it, so I can see if I'm even close to correct about the make-up of the blend. An exception is Wilke - Jim actually walked me through the menu and helped me choose a bunch of them to try. I gotta tell you - John Brandt is a master. I smoked the rum & maple yesterday and had a mouth-gasm.

At a nearby bakery sampling their goodies.
    Real Name
    Jim (ain't got no) Doe
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by JustScott View Post
    Sold by KBV. My understanding is that KBV works with new blenders to come up with some of these, but Jim would know. The ones he's selling that I believe this is true of are: Yoshimi, Eldritch and now Merchant Service. How much he is involved, I have no idea - it could be anywhere from 0 to 100%
    He is very involved. He gets an idea of what they want, and then blends the product with his own spin. I have been the taste tester/sounding board for a great many of his blends the past two years.

At a nearby bakery sampling their goodies.
    Real Name
    Jim (ain't got no) Doe
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by JustScott View Post
    For some reason I thought Jim told me he hadn't yet received his sample. In any case, I acquire tobacco based on the blender's description and try not to read Jim's review until after I've tried it, so I can see if I'm even close to correct about the make-up of the blend. An exception is Wilke - Jim actually walked me through the menu and helped me choose a bunch of them to try. I gotta tell you - John Brandt is a master. I smoked the rum & maple yesterday and had a mouth-gasm.
    It was Burlington Arcade that I hadn't received when we chatted. I got that yesterday, and am working on a review of it.

You may want to try Vermont Maple Cavendish and Rum Cake from Wilke, too. Wilke makes many of the best aros in the USA (no artificial flavorings), and they have a very good line up of English blends and Oriental-forward blends, too.
    Last edited by JimInks; 04-20-2021 at 17:09.

Quote Originally Posted by JimInks View Post
    He is very involved. He gets an idea of what they want, and then blends the product with his own spin. I have been the taste tester/sounding board for a great many of his blends the past two years.
    Thanks - that explains why they are on par with the KBV brand blends.

Quote Originally Posted by JimInks View Post
    It was Burlington Arcade that I hadn't received when we chatted. I got that yesterday, and am working on a review of it.

You may want to try Vermont Maple Cavendish and Rum Cake from Wilke, too. Wilke makes many of the best aros in the USA (no artificial flavorings), and they have a very good line up of English blends and Oriental-forward blends, too.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Burlington Arcade - I was very impressed. Can't wait to try the third Merchant Service blend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast