Thread: Kleen Reem Pipe Reamer

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Kleen Reem Pipe Reamer

Well, here's how it all started. When I met with Rockbass Thomas earlier in the month, he mentioned how appalled he was about one of my pipes being so clogged up with bowl cake. Of course I was embarrassed that I had let this pipe's condition drop so far below acceptable standards that someone else had to point it out to me. The other day I decided to ream out a couple of my pipes using a small, trusted knife blade and, although it did the job, I finally decided to break down after all of these years and buy a new Kleen Reem bowl Reamer for sale by a well-known pipe dealer on eBay. I did some research and found it had been favorably reviewed on rebornpipes. Here's the review:

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/kleen-reem-pipe-reamers/

I've always used blades for reaming out my pipe bowls, but decided that a proper reamer would help get down into the Dublin-shaped bowls better and keep all of my pipe bowls from loosing their shape as well as controlling how much cake is removed. I have a birthday coming up in the near future and, because no one buys me any pipe-related gifts, I bought it for myself and told my wife it'll be a gift from her. I'll try the reamer out after it arrives and then post my experiences with it here.

tmp_2021082118542681934.jpg
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.

Real Name
    Dave

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The drill is also handy to make sure the airway is open.

Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85í off and on

Nice bit of kit Russ but Iím still a knife man!
    Life is a hard master, it gives the task first, the lesson after!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by VDL_PIPER View Post
    Nice bit of kit Russ but Iím still a knife man!
    I've used knife blades for years, but I found that using an Xacto hobby knife with a standard #7 blade allows me to ream and chip out buildup without the problems of a long blade coming into contact with the rim when used at an angle.
    Russ

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've reamed out a number of my pipe bowls over the past few days and have had good success. The settings can be used in increments from largest to smallest for use with a Dublin bowl making the adjustments along the way as needed. Care is needed, though, to make certain the reamer stays straight in the bowl and doesn't wobble when being turned. Standard bowls are pretty straightforward and the tool just needs to be set up to allow for the maximum desired bowl cake thickness that should remain intact. The problem that I face is when the cake is at its thickest near the bottom of the bowl as a result from loading the pipe using a form of the "air pocket" method. The blades will only cut away at the sides of the bowl cake and not drill downward. In order to get through the thickest cake near the bottom, I'll either have to chip it out or just use a drill by hand to enlarge it so the smallest setting will fit in the cake hole.

The tool itself is easy to use and easy enough to figure out when to use the various sequence of settings for any pipe bowl. The handle is a bit undersized for my fat mitts, but comfortable and turns without difficulty. The blades are sharp and cut well with no need to make a second pass. It does come with a hand drill stored in the top, but I haven't used it or measured its diameter. With all that said, I'm pleased with it and, once I have my pipes reamed, it'll be a lot easier to maintain them in the future.
    Russ

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    I've reamed out a number of my pipe bowls over the past few days and have had good success. The settings can be used in increments from largest to smallest for use with a Dublin bowl making the adjustments along the way as needed. Care is needed, though, to make certain the reamer stays straight in the bowl and doesn't wobble when being turned. Standard bowls are pretty straightforward and the tool just needs to be set up to allow for the maximum desired bowl cake thickness that should remain intact. The problem that I face is when the cake is at its thickest near the bottom of the bowl as a result from loading the pipe using a form of the "air pocket" method. The blades will only cut away at the sides of the bowl cake and not drill downward. In order to get through the thickest cake near the bottom, I'll either have to chip it out or just use a drill by hand to enlarge it so the smallest setting will fit in the cake hole.

The tool itself is easy to use and easy enough to figure out when to use the various sequence of settings for any pipe bowl. The handle is a bit undersized for my fat mitts, but comfortable and turns without difficulty. The blades are sharp and cut well with no need to make a second pass. It does come with a hand drill stored in the top, but I haven't used it or measured its diameter. With all that said, I'm pleased with it and, once I have my pipes reamed, it'll be a lot easier to maintain them in the future.
    I've had one of these for about 8 years now, it's has always worked flawlessly, glad you got one instead of one of those cheap knock offs. Oh! and before you use the drill, by all means make sure it matches the size of the draft hole your drilling out first. They tend to be much bigger the most English made pipes, probably closer to a Savinelli size, certainly not a 9/64" unless the newer ones have changed. And to think of it, I didn't know Kleen Reem was even still in business, huh!
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by RP McMurphy View Post
    I've had one of these for about 8 years now, it's has always worked flawlessly, glad you got one instead of one of those cheap knock offs. Oh! and before you use the drill, by all means make sure it matches the size of the draft hole your drilling out first. They tend to be much bigger the most English made pipes, probably closer to a Savinelli size, certainly not a 9/64" unless the newer ones have changed. And to think of it, I didn't know Kleen Reem was even still in business, huh!
    Good advice, Ron. I haven't used it yet and thanks for the heads-up. I don't think they're in business, either, but this appears to be NOS and it's the real thing.
    Russ

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Good advice, Ron. I haven't used it yet and thanks for the heads-up. I don't think they're in business, either, but this appears to be NOS and it's the real thing.
    You got lucky I think finding a NOS one, and always glad to be of help when I can sir.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/