Thread: Vacuum packing tobacco...will it mess it up?

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Vacuum packing tobacco...will it mess it up?

I have a question for the piping gurus of the forum. It concerns vacuum packing my loose tobacco for a period of time...Here's the story.

The wife and I have decided that after 30+ years, we have had enough of the heat in the great(ish) state of Arizona and are planning a move to southern Oregon around June or so of 2023. We are in the process of paring down some of our stuff and packing stuff to go into storage here until we have our permanent place up there (didn't realize how many pipes/stands I had until I started wrapping them). In the meantime, we will be in a Class A motorhome. The RV is only 35 feet long, and as you can guess will have limited storage area.

I don't want to put my tobacco into the storage unit...at all. The temps here in the summer hit 110 to 115 and the storage unit will not be air conditioned. I have several blends of tobacco that I have stored in mason jars of various sizes. As these do take up a large-ish amount of space, I wanted to see what would be the effect on my tobacco if I vacuum sealed it. This way, I could take my stash with me in the RV, and clean and store the jars in the storage unit until a time comes when we can come and get everything and take it up north. Also, my vacuum sealer had the option of just sealing the bag without drawing down to vacuum. I don't know if the extended deep vacuum sealing process (like in sealing up steaks, etc.) will draw the moisture out of the tobacco and leave me with a vacuum-burned, dried out mess.

I do know that some tobacco companies vacuum seal their tins and such, so I'm pretty sure that it won't destroy my stuff to seal it up. I just don't know HOW MUCH negative pressure they use in the process and I don't want to overdo it.

Thanks for your input!

McGyver
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Although I don't have any experience with this, Sonny, but I think that a complete vacuum seal would suck a bit of moisture out of the tobacco. You might want to try getting the largest zip lock bags that you can and fill each one with just enough tobacco so the bag lays as flat as possible. Ya think?
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

Sonny, vacuum sealing your tobacco will be just fine for couple years of storage if you need. I've smoked vacuum sealed samples from some folks that seal up all their open tobaccos and the main difference has been how it compresses it all together. It also won't age the same way if all the oxygen is sucked out so it tends to keep the tobacco in a more fresh state and sort of keeps it from aging. I think it more or less really slows the aging since it stops the aerobic portion of the aging. This also depends on how your tobacco has already been aged and stored before you vac sealed it. But overall, it's fine to seal it up that way.
    "Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity."
    - Christopher Morley

Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85í off and on

Hi Sonny, have vacuum sealed tobaccoís before with varying degrees of success. My issues arose from using cheaper clear bags as they lost their seal/vacuum over time. Iím not sure if the seal failed or the bags themselves broke down over time and became air permeable but it happened and it probably took 2 years or so to become noticeable and these bags did appear to be quite thick. I also used some Mylar bags and had zero problems plus these bags donít permit any light or UV in to your tobaccos which is a huge bonus. Itís worth noting that Iíve seen a few videos and post around about esoterica blends that come in those bulk bags and it seems like the tobacco in those bags stores well, those bags also look very much like Mylar to me too.
    Life is a hard master, it gives the task first, the lesson after!

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

Aye Mr. Sonny, I Ďave several jars wit several baggies o baccy squeezed into them. The ziplock bags will allow you to push the air out and when placed in a mason jar have give me aboot 9 years o njoyment! The baccy remained moist and requires no rehydration, in several instances it Ďas needed a wee bit o dryin time...
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." ó Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com