Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's In Your Pipe, August 2022?

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Happy Birthday, Zach!
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good Evening! It's 80°, humid, and partly cloudy on the western horizon as the sun is setting here. Janet and I are out on the deck after running away from the Houston vs Cleveland game on TV. Houston was leading 6-1 in the third inning so we decided to just let the game go for now. Currently smoking a bowl of Solani 633 in the BBB billiard with a glass of cold water on the side. 💧
    Russ

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye, seem this old Pyrate ‘as a little difficulty wit followin a thread... dunno.gif methought ‘twer postin me last two pipes in the August thread n they both went t July... dunno.gif aye, twould seem the moderator be asleep on watch... July by nae locked!
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." — Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

Aye Mr. Zach, smilie_geb_084.gif. May Ye ‘ave as many moar as Ye likes! Get Ye a ration o the Capt’s Rum t celebrate wit cheers.gif
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." — Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

Thanks guys.
    "Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity."
    - Christopher Morley

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Good Saturday Morning! It's 71°, very humid, and with a partly cloudy sky here. The first pipe of the day is Bayou Morning Flake in the MM Mark Twain cob and there's a fresh mugga coffee on the tobacco table.
    Russ

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

I smoked the 1999 McClelland #12 late into the night and didn't get to the aged tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake until this morning. My first tin and first smoke of Solani 656. I've sat on this tin since picking it up at an NASPC show in 2017. This morning, I cracked the tin and was greeted by beautiful dark flakes and a heavy fermented scent that oddly enough smells like stewed tomatoes and some mysterious seasoning. The flake rubbed very well and produced perfect dark brown burley ribbon of a couple shades. It needed 15 minutes of airing out and off gassing. The taste is very rich and delicious but I do tire of the blatant misrepresentation of natural tobacco. This is cased, has humectant, and is full of added sugar without a single doubt. The manufacturer outright lies and states that it's "A very natural blend with absolutely no additives or flavors - a true burley blend." This is a demonstrable lie and should not be legal to say. All said, it's a very tasty burley mixture that's sweetened with sugar and possibly some faint and aged-off cocoa notes but it's not natural burley flavor all the way, which is fine, just don't lie about it. Anyways, it's been said that this has now changed and I'd probably not get any more of it.

"Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity."
    - Christopher Morley

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

Zach: Manufacturer Kohlhase & Kopp is frank about the flavouring of Solani Aged Burley Flake. I've copied this and run it trough Deepl
    Translate:

Contents: 50 g tin
    Aroma: hint of chocolate
    Cut type: Flake
    Tobacco type: Danish classic

Blend: High quality flake of white Burley, matured, roasted, pressed and heated. After 6 weeks the cakes are cut into flakes. Noble tobacco pleasure.

For strength of flavouring, they give 1 point out of five. - "Danish Classic" is also how the John Aylesbury brand describe some of their tobaccos. One of them that I know has a light honey flavour added.

EDIT: Forgot to say: Happy Birthday!

Sitting in the shed after dinner, smoking a mix of leftovers including Latakia and St. Bruno in a Peterson Irishmade dublin.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Good Afternoon! It's 82°, very humid, a little breezy, and with a cloudy sky here in our town. Out on the deck keeping Grover company while smoking a bowl of Bayou Morning Flake in the Peterson "Irish Harp 999" and there's a glass of cold water on the side. 💧
    Russ

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,

Zach: Manufacturer Kohlhase & Kopp is frank about the flavouring of Solani Aged Burley Flake. I've copied this and run it trough Deepl

For strength of flavouring, they give 1 point out of five. - "Danish Classic" is also how the John Aylesbury brand describe some of their tobaccos. One of them that I know has a light honey flavour added.

EDIT: Forgot to say: Happy Birthday!

Sitting in the shed after dinner, smoking a mix of leftovers including Latakia and St. Bruno in a Peterson Irishmade dublin.

Best wishes
    Markus

Thank you, Markus. There’a another German site that lists 168mg of sugar, cocoa, and propylene glycol in the Aged Solani Flake yet they say “absolutely no additives or flavoring.” I wish they followed some sort of purity law to be able to say it has no additives like food laws. Some people may not want additives and could buy based on ingredients.
    - Christopher Morley

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast