Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunhill Navy Roll

Dunhill Navy Roll

I am looking for some Dunhil Navy Roll Flake. I had it once because a guy gave it to me and he said "I am including this, because I hate it" I enjoyed it. The only downside is that I did not know how to smoke a flake cut at the time. If you have some that you don't want, I would be happy to take it off of your hands, if the asking "price" is reasonable. Thanks
    Keep Calm, and Smoke a Pipe
    http://mikegoodwin2282.wordpress.com

I had the same problem at first with flakes (and I'd guess we're not alone in that). Wouldn't touch them for years. Only recently got back to flakes, and am very glad that I have!

That said, none for trade here. Have you looked online much for tins? Lots of vendors have very reasonable prices, and some offer bulk discounts if you have the spare income to stock up a bit. SmokingPipes is a personal fave, I've heard CupOJoes is good, and I know there are others.

Real Name
    R.D. Henard
    Pipe smoker since
    Over 40 years

It should be readily available. If it isn't, Escudo is a good substitute. Navy Rolls, Escudo and Stokkebye's Bulleye all look and taste very much alike to me. You can get Bullseye in bulk so it is a bit less expensive.
    You've heard of people who don't know nothin'? I don't even suspect nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie_ View Post
    Navy Rolls, Escudo and Stokkebye's Bulleye all look and taste very much alike to me. You can get Bullseye in bulk so it is a bit less expensive.
    I've not had the Dunhill yet, but I can also vouch for both Escudo and Stokkebye's.

Real Name
    Ed Blackstock
    Pipe smoker since
    45yrs (1969)

Escudo has a more dominant perique presence than DNR. DNR is very very smooth! From first light, it's like snicker-doodles in the oven. Nose-hits off the bowl are equally as wonderful! DGT's exceptionally. Since the Dunhill leaf is supposedly well aged prior to shipment (whatever that means), i liken this to a lesser perique'd Escudo with a few years of age. Smoked some old Escudo and it smoothed out in comparison to a new-fresh opened tin. Both fine smokes for sure.

Now, LBF tastes nothing like DNR or Escudo. If you pop out the cav disk, it gets closer but still closer to PS LNF and those two are different imo (even without the disk).

I wouldn't kick either of the three outta my bowl! ;)

DNR is everywhere that sells Dunhill. Where ya lookin'?

Ed
    Puff
    Trust no one except Sam Colt!

The LBF was way to sweet for my tastes.
    Really impressed with Escudo, after reading Ed's take on the difference between Escudo and DNR another round of TAD is brewing.

FWIW Michael DNR is currently in stock at Smoking Pipes, Pipes and Cigars, 4Noggins, p'rolly more (-:
    Snus, Snuff and Briar, what more can a soul require?
    Enjoy your tobacco,
    Brian

Real Name
    Ed Blackstock
    Pipe smoker since
    45yrs (1969)

Sorry for enhancing your TAD list since thismis the highest priced Dunny can atm. Hope they, Orlik or whomever is on contract to do the leaf, i really hope they don't change a thing! I saw the current Flake/GAF ;) change in delivery from ~19 chewing gum stick sized pieces to the current OGS sized cuts. Well, just smoked the new widecuts/OGS sized flakes and it's still crackin' the arse of that GOrilla! Every bit as good as the gum size. Recipe not fiddled with.

As long as I'm dreamin, hope they do more blends! As close as can be. Get JFG to do Dunhill would absolutely KILL me thinkz!

Ed
    Puff

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I could buy a tin, but that requires this abstract thing called money.....that I don't have
    Keep Calm, and Smoke a Pipe
    http://mikegoodwin2282.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Mark Smith
    Pipe smoker since

I'd just be happy if Dunhill would bring Elizabethan Mixture back. Having said that, I do love Escudo, and I agree that LNF is a good second to it.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Benjamin Franklin

Real Name
    Ed Blackstock
    Pipe smoker since
    45yrs (1969)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Goodwin View Post
    I could buy a tin, but that requires this abstract thing called money.....that I don't have
    It's a concept. Ya hafta "work" at it to get it. Took me all my life at it and then one day i didn't hafta anymore! Earlier ya start, earlier ya quit! Sort of....

Ed
    Puff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast