Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1380

Thread: What Are You Sipping?

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelP View Post
    Last night it was Fullers London Pride, followed by Banks Amber Ale finally rounded off by a generous dram of Old Pulteney 12 y/o malt. Tonight it is currently Black Sheep Ale and may be follow on with Timothy Taylors Landlord. I did notice that I am running low on malt whisky, I recently finished a half bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood 12 y/o and really enjoyed it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good malt for no more than 40, I'm varied with my tastes but I don't like any Glenfiddichs.
    When in London, I used to drink a lot of London Pride (and Extra Special Bitter - ESB - "brain damage" to the locals!). Landlord is my favourite Yorkshire beer, and there is one pub in Edinburgh that looks after it really well.

Sorry, can't advise on the malt. I don't buy it any more and only drink it when I'm with Ally!!
    Last edited by plugugly; 10-07-2018 at 19:27.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelP View Post
    Last night it was Fullers London Pride, followed by Banks Amber Ale finally rounded off by a generous dram of Old Pulteney 12 y/o malt. Tonight it is currently Black Sheep Ale and may be follow on with Timothy Taylors Landlord. I did notice that I am running low on malt whisky, I recently finished a half bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood 12 y/o and really enjoyed it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good malt for no more than 40, I'm varied with my tastes but I don't like any Glenfiddichs.
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...-whisky/?srh=1
    Chris and I tried this at a recent Cuddy Brae meet and we both thought it was lovely.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...-whisky/?srh=1
    This is a slighty peated Malt but great value for money, some supermarkets are selling it for around the 25.00 mark at the moment.
    Last edited by allyby; 10-07-2018 at 20:05.

Real Name
    Nigel
    Pipe smoker since
    approx 20 years

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks Ally, that's two to add to my list. It might be down to what's available on the day in the store but armed with recommendations it should narrow down the choices.
    Regards,

Nigel

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

The Famous Grouse.
    I enjoy the single malts like 'old poulteney' & 'glenmorangie' more, as a drink. When paired with a stout tobacco however, I enjoy the grouse. By far.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    The Famous Grouse.
    I enjoy the single malts like 'old poulteney' & 'glenmorangie' more, as a drink. When paired with a stout tobacco however, I enjoy the grouse. By far.
    Don't know about you Simon, but after a couple of drams of The Famous Grouse I become very mellow - the trivialities of life pass by unnoticed. Wonderful blend - arguably the best in the blended scotch genre.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Don't know about you Simon, but after a couple of drams of The Famous Grouse I become very mellow - the trivialities of life pass by unnoticed. Wonderful blend - arguably the best in the blended scotch genre.
    I think so. I used to like 'Teachers' but they've changed it. So I sticks to what I know, which isn't a lot but I knows what I likes.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I think so. I used to like 'Teachers' but they've changed it. So I sticks to what I know, which isn't a lot but I knows what I likes.
    As a student, I used to work part-time in a bar. The old guys either asked for Grouse or J&B, mostly Grouse.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

I do like the sound of the Glenfarclas - used to be one of my favourite Speyside malts.
    The 15 is better than the 17 and cheaper as well also a higher abv, 46% compered to the 17 at 43%.

Also ordered a bottle of this last night.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...thmill11yo2006

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    The 15 is better than the 17 and cheaper as well also a higher abv, 46% compered to the 17 at 43%.

Also ordered a bottle of this last night.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...thmill11yo2006

That Strathmill looks VERY interesting, Ally. Good value for a cask strength (60% ABV), single bottling. It looks just right for an ex-bourbon cask malt - almost colourless. They burn off the whiskey from the cask, which has a caramelising effect - imparting a note of honeyed sweetness to the malt, as it ages.

You'll probably need a smidgeon of clear water in that! LOL
    Last edited by plugugly; 10-15-2018 at 09:44.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

That Strathmill looks VERY interesting, Ally. Good value for a cask strength (60% ABV), single bottling. It looks just right for an ex-bourbon cask malt - almost colourless. They burn off the whiskey from the cask, which has a caramelising effect - imparting a note of honeyed sweetness to the malt, as it ages.

You'll probably need a smidgeon of clear water in that! LOL
    Defo will Chris at the percentage it is.