Page 469 of 476 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 4755

Thread: What Tobacco Did You Receive Today?

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    [I]

I'm cheap when it comes to buying pipes, not so much when it comes to filling them.
    A man after my own heart.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

As the Fall harvest season approaches, WallyWorld was really stocked up with Ball jars. I scored these 64 oz. amber jars and they fit the whole blocks of Curly, bag included, perfectly.

I wonder though, how long that CB would keep in those bags without jarring? I'm not sure if those bags are Mylar, but they're definitely better than the bags inside the SG 250g boxes.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

As the Fall harvest season approaches, WallyWorld was really stocked up with Ball jars. I scored these 64 oz. amber jars and they fit the whole blocks of Curly, bag included, perfectly. I wonder though, how long that CB would keep in those bags without jarring? I'm not sure if those bags are Mylar, but they're definitely better than the bags inside the SG 250g boxes.
    I don't trust any bags for long-term storage, Patrick. I think that your jars are just the ticket.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    I don't trust any bags for long-term storage, Patrick. I think that your jars are just the ticket.
    I agree Russ, and I like the amber jars that keep out the light. Even though they'll be stored deep in the cabinet out of the direct light, you can never have too much protection.

But I know some guys have switched over to Mylar bags for long term storage saying they are fine, cheaper, lighter weight, no chance for breakage, etc. Then again, they really haven't kept them for years yet so how can they be certain?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

I wonder though, how long that CB would keep in those bags without jarring? I'm not sure if those bags are Mylar, but they're definitely better than the bags inside the SG 250g boxes.
    The stock bags aren't Mylar. They're just regular plastic. You can tell the difference by appearance. Mylar is translucent rather than transparent (because of the density) and it has a sort of metallic shine to it. The plastic bags will be fine for storage for a few months at least, but the tobacco will by drying out during that time and there will be no aging benefit due to oxygen and moisture exchange. As long as the seal is good and there are no holes, it will prevent most microbes from getting at the tobacco though. It's better to get it into jars as soon as you can.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

But I know some guys have switched over to Mylar bags for long term storage saying they are fine, cheaper, lighter weight, no chance for breakage, etc. Then again, they really haven't kept them for years yet so how can they be certain?
    Mylar bags definitely offer some space-saving benefits, but that's as far as it goes in my opinion. A lot of guys vacuum seal those bags, which is completely counterproductive to the aging process. And, as you say, who the hell knows what condition those bags will be in after ten years in storage? Personally, I'll opt for the reliability of glass jars over the convenience of Mylar.

Also, Mylar has a smell. If you've ever been around a large pile of those bags, I'm sure you've noticed it. Glass, as far as I can tell, is about as aromatically neutral as it comes (or maybe I've just become accustomed to it). I'd prefer my VaPers to still be VaPers in 15 years time, instead of VaPerMyls.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good info Anthony, thanks for that.

So now I'm thinking my idea of placing Curly Block in the jars while still sealed in the bags is not a good idea. The jars are large enough to fit a block, two blocks actually, without cutting anything off like I did when using the quart sized jars and that was my main objective. So I'm going to get rid of the bags.

Btw, I was temped to get one of these push/pull lid types because they look nice. But I didn't trust the lid for long term storage.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Maso...-0-CT/17203434

So I went with the tried and true wide mouth in amber.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-R-Wi...64oz/187976489

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Last week, actually.

Simon had been raving about MacB HH Bold Kentucky and was recommending it to me as a late-night alternative to GH DF/DP.

He kindly offered to send me a tin for me to try before buying.

This he did, but also included in the parcel were generous samples of the original Wills Capstan and GH Rich Dark Honeydew. (So far, I have only tried the MacB BK, and am about to load up another bowl of it.)

Thanks, mate!

Not only that, he also off-loaded a couple of nasty looking cobs. In keeping with current evidence-based good practice, these have been planted in the garden, where I am using them for target practice with my trusty catapult (don't like guns!)

dennis 2.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 08-13-2018 at 19:12.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post

Not only that, he also off-loaded a couple of nasty looking cobs. ]
    Oh dear, I've been rumbled! Lol
    Tried to make it sound like he was 'missing out' on something. Thought by 'gifting' the man some cobs, he might feel inclined to try them. Alas, 'off loaded' is correct, in this case. Sorry chaps, I tried!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Oh dear, I've been rumbled! Lol
    Tried to make it sound like he was 'missing out' on something. Thought by 'gifting' the man some cobs, he might feel inclined to try them. Alas, 'off loaded' is correct, in this case. Sorry chaps, I tried!
    No reason to apologize, Simon, cob pipes aren't for everyone but only for a select few. And besides, a Dr. just couldn't be seen smoking one.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching