Page 419 of 419 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419
Results 4,181 to 4,188 of 4188

Thread: What Tobacco Did You Receive Today?

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A young lady in France who sells old lace and porcelain on eBay has been selling supposedly collectible tins that happen to be full of tobacco for several weeks. She‘s sold all but one tin and was wondering why people were bidding so much for these tins.

I bought a tin on Charatan No. 5. JimBo remembers it from the 60s. In corresponding with the lady I mentioned that I and others were buying these for the tobacco. She was amazed because she thought people were buying them for the tins. One can use those to store odds and ends in. But buying tins for tobacco and bidding over £100 in some cases? „More cash than brains“ she says.

My tin cost £30 plus £2.40 for postage. Since she put stamps for 9.40 Euro on the letter she didn‘t earn all that much. The tin was rusty. I had to pry the lid off with a screwdriver, no threads to turn. The tobacco was intact and still in broken flakes. On opening the tin an aroma filled the kitchen the likes of which I have never experienced. The tobacco tastes like a superior St Bruno and smokes well.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

What Tobacco Did You Receive Today?

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    A young lady in France who sells old lace and porcelain on eBay has been selling supposedly collectible tins that happen to be full of tobacco for several weeks. She‘s sold all but one tin and was wondering why people were bidding so much for these tins.

I bought a tin on Charatan No. 5. JimBo remembers it from the 60s. In corresponding with the lady I mentioned that I and others were buying these for the tobacco. She was amazed because she thought people were buying them for the tins. One can use those to store odds and ends in. But buying tins for tobacco and bidding over £100 in some cases? „More cash than brains“ she says.

My tin cost £30 plus £2.40 for postage. Since she put stamps for 9.40 Euro on the letter she didn‘t earn all that much. The tin was rusty. I had to pry the lid off with a screwdriver, no threads to turn. The tobacco was intact and still in broken flakes. On opening the tin an aroma filled the kitchen the likes of which I have never experienced. The tobacco tastes like a superior St Bruno and smokes well.

Looks delightful! Thank you for sharing those pictures with us. I always love looking at tobacco and even better yet, aged tobacco!

I wonder who produced who that tobacco? Anyone know?
    Last edited by Hawky454; 12-14-2017 at 15:51.

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I wonder who produced who that tobacco?
    Charatan????

This would have been in the 1960s before some of the pipe companies farmed out the tobacco making.

I've now finished smoking that bowl. It started out very mild. And by the bottom of the bowl it got a lot stronger and had some bite. I need to try it again in different pipes to decide what I think of it. But it is a serious tobacco and has survived the aging well.

Mark

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing the photos, Mark.

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Lovely find, good to see. Now, if only I could find a tin of old Balkan Sobranie 759 for that price...

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    I wonder who produced who that tobacco? Anyone know?
    Dunhill made Charatan blends from the 60s/70s(?) to until the blends went out of production in the early/mid-80s(?). Prior to that I don't know. I don't even know how far they go back. The documented history of these blends is quite foggy. Where's MLC when you need him?
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Dunhill made Charatan blends from the 60s/70s(?) to until the blends went out of production in the early/mid-80s(?). Prior to that I don't know. I don't even know how far they go back. The documented history of these blends is quite foggy. Where's MLC when you need him?
    Awesome, thanks for letting me know. That Charatan No. 5 looks damn good!

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The order I placed from GQ over a month ago for 10 - Dunhill Flake has finally been boxed and shipping out later today, I spoke to Sam and added another two tins and six packs of pipe cleaners to the order, he's telling me he has 23 tins left in stock so if any you guy's from the UK need Dunhill Flake, now is the time to pounce!