Page 434 of 434 FirstFirst ... 334384424432433434
Results 4,331 to 4,334 of 4334

Thread: What Tobacco Did You Receive Today?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmillar View Post
    I have 2 pounds of Prince Edward one of which I will use with the tobacco from Friday and some others to do a little home made.
    That's a good idea, Joe. The simple, burley-forward nature of Prince Edwards makes it a good addition to a blend that needs a little extra oomph.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Five pounds of Grand Croupier Double Down arrived from SP this morning. Just in time too, because I wasn't sure if I had enough on hand to make it through the weekend.

Double Down is my "working" smoke because it's cheap, tasty, rough around the edges, and doesn't lack for strength. So, I don't feel the need to think about it too much. For those same reasons, it's frequently my "wake up" smoke as well. This resupply should keep me stocked for about six months or so, but I think I'll pick up a couple of pounds per month for a while to keep it cellared deep so that I don't have to worry about running thin again.

It's kind of a bummer that SP rolled out a sitewide 10%-off sale just a couple of days after I placed this order, but this stuff is so cheap even when it's off-sale that I don't really begrudge it.
    I didn't realize they made a Burley/VA Grand Croupier. Sound great and the price is right! Do you ever get Latakia, Turkish or other oddball stuff in there or is it really just VA and Burley-based tobaccos? (Looks like there's some Perique or Cavendish in your bags -- which is no bad thing.)

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchfork View Post
    I didn't realize they made a Burley/VA Grand Croupier. Sound great and the price is right! Do you ever get Latakia, Turkish or other oddball stuff in there or is it really just VA and Burley-based tobaccos? (Looks like there's some Perique or Cavendish in your bags -- which is no bad thing.)
    Double Down differs from batch to batch by nature, but it's never completely unfamiliar. I have occasionally caught notes from both Latakia and Perique, but hese are fleeting, usually gone within two three puffs. The ratio of Virginia to burley and the types of leaf that are present differs between batches as well. One previous batch had a healthy dose of dark fired leaf and that was fantastic. Another batch was much more Virginia-forward than usual and the Virginia leaf that was the primary ingredient would be worth seeking out on its own if I had any idea of what it was.

I kind of like the surprise of it. Not only is it variable from batch to batch, but no two bowls are exactly the same and sometimes a single bowl can change dramatically throughout the smoke.

I used to think that the Grand Croupier series was made from the table scraps of C&D bulk blends only, but now I'm not so sure. My last batch had a very pronounced presence from something that reminded me of the distinctive Gawith Hoggarth flavors. If there's a C&D blend with a similar flavor profile, I haven't had it. It was a nice, if somewhat unexpected, surprise, especially since it wasn't present in every bowl.

Boneyard is worth a try as well. Supposedly, it's their Latakia mix, but every batch that I've bought was much more heavily in favor of orientals. It mixes pretty well with Double Down for a stout, old school sort of smoke.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

I took advantage of the IPSD sale at Smokingpipes.com and did a modest restocking of my cellar drawer. It arrived today.

3x Peterson Irish Whiskey
    3x St. Bruno RR
    1x DDNR
    3x SG Lakeland Dark
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.