Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Tax Increase Fails in Calif

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Exclamation Tobacco Tax Increase Fails in Calif

I have to admit, I'm shocked at this result considering the way California normally sways...but the $1.00 per pack sales tax they wanted to add to cigarettes has failed in California.

What I love, one of the original articles I read, it was estimated to raise $756 million, in this article it was supposed to be $810 million (and had it passed, it wouldn't have raised close to either imho).

I mean honestly, how stupid are politicians...if smoking rates have fallen steadily, and then you add a whopping increase in cost, how the hell do they really expect that combination to bring in revenue?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA8T1OTODR.DTL
    Last edited by Paul; 06-06-2012 at 19:03.
    "I am a mystery wrapped inside of a riddle wrapped inside of an enigma"

Have some time to spare...wanna look at pics...visit: www.psaphotos.com

Real Name
    Jeff
    Pipe smoker since
    Nineteen Hundred Eighty and Seven

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Wow maybe the pendulum has finally started to swing back.....this ought to be good...
    popcorn.gif
    Jeff
    __--____
    "what ever turns you on Cup Cake…."

Quote Originally Posted by pipe_ninja View Post
    I mean honestly, how stupid are politicians...if smoking rates have fallen steadily, and then you add a whopping increase in cost, how the hell do they really expect that combination to bring in revenue?
    Because it never was about state revenue. The politicians don't care about state revenue, they care about personal back pocket revenue, paid by heavily funded special interest lobbyists. Right now the Nazis are saying "smoking is the new prohibition." Welcome to just one more of many attempts to undermine personal freedom in this country. Political thinking is all about continuing the pursuit of the "status quo." The status quo being the continued financially funded corruption of personal liberty by the highest bidder.

More hand-holding by the nanny state based on the premise of "what good for the people"...
    You wouldnt know it by my posts...but I really do know how to spell...

That could be true, but the tobacco lobby way out spent the anit's in this case...and it would be an interesting way for big tobacco and the politicians to get into bed together by starting up anti smoking legislation...especially since it has hurt big tobacco's bottom line.

But I agree it comes down to what the pols personally want get out of it.

I mean if they really wanted to put a strangle hold on the tobacco industry they could've done it by stipulating funds for that massive lawsuit settlement could not be passed on to the consumer.

So yeah, the industry had to pay out billions of dollars...they just laugh because that costs just pushed down the line.
    "I am a mystery wrapped inside of a riddle wrapped inside of an enigma"

Have some time to spare...wanna look at pics...visit: www.psaphotos.com

Real Name
    R.D. Henard
    Pipe smoker since
    Over 40 years

I'm surprised the tax increase failed. Politicians are always in favor of higher taxes. Their mentality is like the kids running a lemonade stand and charging $20 per cup with the mentality that they have to sell only a few cups.
    You've heard of people who don't know nothin'? I don't even suspect nothin'.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You have my mother to thank for this failing (she voted NO as she is a dirty smoker)
    Keep Calm, and Smoke a Pipe
    http://mikegoodwin2282.wordpress.com

Wow.. a victory for the smokers. I just hope it isn't short-lived.
    May your bowls always be full

Real Name
    R.D. Henard
    Pipe smoker since
    Over 40 years

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRover View Post
    Wow.. a victory for the smokers. I just hope it isn't short-lived.
    I'm afraid you're right. The anti's will keep putting it on the ballot until it passes.
    You've heard of people who don't know nothin'? I don't even suspect nothin'.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Goodwin View Post
    You have my mother to thank for this failing (she voted NO as she is a dirty smoker)
    I'm getting a little sick of feeling like a dirty smoker. I think it's great this failed. They oughta stop picking on us!

Real Name
    Ted Haviland

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Goodwin View Post
    Thanks "mom"!!!!
    "…You spend years working hard, trying to establish yourself as a professional, but ya get caught with one sheep out of wedlock and poof, it's all over."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast