Thread: Dunhill

nsfisher

Dunhill

Well, with all the raves about Dunhills, I have decided I would like to buy or trade for one. If anyone has one they would like to part with, give me a PM.

Real Name
    Bob Hudspeth
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hype is just what it is! I have a few Dunhills and they don't smoke any better that my Stanwells or Savinelli's. But that is just my opinion. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave

nsfisher

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I fully agree with you Bob! I have a Sven Lars here that smokes like a dream , 2 Comoys and 2 Loewe's as well that smoke awsome. I cannot imagine that a Dunhill is any better, but I am going to try one or two just to say that I have.

Registered Member

I think we all need to try a Dunhill at some point in our lives. Over my years I've owned probably a dozen, though there are currently NO white spots in my collection. You pay about 50% of the price for the name and 50% for the pipe itself with Dunhill. Dunhill has made some magnificent pipes, but as macnined pipes go I find as much smoking quality in Stanwells, etc. All of mine passed on to the hands of the next person who needed to try a Dunhill for himself.

And I, too, like those old Loewe's.In fact, back in the 60s and 70s, Loewe's were considered as about on par with Dunhills. Now you can get them for a fraction of the price.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkofferdahl View Post
    I think we all need to try a Dunhill at some point in our lives. Over my years I've owned probably a dozen, though there are currently NO white spots in my collection. You pay about 50% of the price for the name and 50% for the pipe itself with Dunhill. Dunhill has made some magnificent pipes, but as macnined pipes go I find as much smoking quality in Stanwells, etc. All of mine passed on to the hands of the next person who needed to try a Dunhill for himself.

And I, too, like those old Loewe's.In fact, back in the 60s and 70s, Loewe's were considered as about on par with Dunhills. Now you can get them for a fraction of the price.
    I heard that in the 50's a Kaywoody cost more than a Dunhill.
    I've bought several new in the 80's, my root briar billiard was a great smoke, but I bought a
    group 3 in a 1/2 bent root briar that sucked. After it sat in the pipe rack a few years I noticed the bit reversed it's direction of bend.
    When they were trying to sell them to me they said they were so precisely made that the white dot was needed to tell if the bit was in right side up. I turned the bit upside down and found that wasn't true.
    I saw a video on "How It's Made" showing Dunhill's being made.
    They applied the stain 12 times and lit it on fire each time to drive the stain deep into the briar.
    I sold them all on eBay and got most of my money back. I love Ascorti's, Radice's, Cavicchi's and Caminetto's much more.
    BanjoBob

I had a guy send me a Dunhill to restore and while I had it here I thought I'd burn a couple of bowls in it(I let him know that I smoked it) just to see what all the hype was about. It was OK.

Re: Dunhill

Dunhill is the pipe smokers version of Prada.

Wold I like to have one...eh sure, but not at the cost.

This is why I have become such a Boswell fan. Handmade pipes, most run from about $130 to $170...all smoke great...and for a pipe they seem to hold their value pretty well also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    "I am a mystery wrapped inside of a riddle wrapped inside of an enigma"

Have some time to spare...wanna look at pics...visit: www.psaphotos.com

Dunhill

I agree with what's been said above. I've had two, paid less than 100 for each. Estates are awesome! However, they didn't smoke any better and just collected dust, I have too many pipes. I've sold both and haven't missed them.

They're absolutely terrible pipes. I don't know why anyone would want one. They're well made and the briar or bruyere, if you will, are well aged. The drilling that I've seen is always spot on and the finish is excellent. Just complete junk! That's why I have Kaywoodies, Dr. Grabows, Peterson's, Charatan, GBD, Mario Grandi, BP Jum, Savinelli, Falcons, Stanwells, cobs, blah blah yada yada, etc etc, so on and so forth, rinse and repeat, that all smoke just as good as those stinking dunhills. I also have 28 dunhills. I smoke them all and enjoy them all.

It doesn't matter what brand you smoke. If they're well made and engineered with aged briar then each and every one should smoke good. If you want one then get one. If you don't want one then que sera sera.

My first post! Hey y'all! :biggrin-new:

Real Name
    Ted Haviland

Hey Mr. B!!! Welcome to the nut-house! LOL

I've owned a few Dunnies "in the day"...found them to be good pipes, but I wasn't impressed enough to keep them. Good hunting , Fisher!
    "…You spend years working hard, trying to establish yourself as a professional, but ya get caught with one sheep out of wedlock and poof, it's all over."