Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Packing a Pipe

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Try the 3 pinch method but with only 2 pinches and pack it a bit looser than you think. A pipe should be a lot easier to draw on than a cigarette. Try a few different ways and see what works best for you.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

One approach that I use and may be helpful to others is that I "test draw" the pipe at several points while packing. This allows for an adjustment or for a complete repack prior to lighting. I also use the "pic" on my pipe tool in order to push tobacco away from the draught hole or to poke and loosen a tight pack.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Since using the Royal Yacht it's been a lot better packing wise and also keeping lit, i have gone back to the 3 layer method and although i haven't properly nailed the method i am actually enjoying the pipe more and am enjoying the Royal Yacht a lot more than the Condor, and on the plus side it's staying lit a lot longer without me puffing like a train.
    Thanks for the advice and support it's been much appreciated, now to get back to my hunting of Dr Grabows in the UK :)

Wiz

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

Bringing this thread up to date.

Seems like here, there are many methods and each guy has his own. I'm still (after about 3 years) in the experimental stage, but I am getting it down more or less with the sprinkle down method with the draw for checking it. Maybe I'll give the Bob method a try and see what happens.
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wizard View Post
    Seems like here, there are many methods and each guy has his own.
    You're right it's very much an individual thing much depending on the pipe and tobacco you smoke. I remember when I was young thinking I had to be puffing away like the Flying Scotsman in order to be seen as an expert smoker. Now I'm the complete opposite and don't care how many relights I have to use to keep it going.
    I still don't own a tamper never mind use one....apart from my finger that is.

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The Bob Method didn't work for me But this guys ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fOHGqieAwI) method did, and so far it has been good with plenty of air flow and burns cooler than tamping down to hard, cuz I can't feel the baccy directly with my finger. Once its lit, then I use the tamp gently as is normal. It helps to be able to control the pressure with you sensitive finger.
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123