Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cigar vs. Pipe

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I was a cigar smoker for thirty years before I discovered pipes.
    I still smoke a couple a week and when I ride the John Deere
    and whenever it's inconvenient to smoke a pipe.
    When I switched to pipes, my cigar stash became a lifetime supply.

I enjoy both cigars and pipes but they each have their place in my life.

If I only have 10 minutes for a smoke, I will smoke a small cigar but if I have longer, then it depends on the situation.

I do find a cigar much easier to smoke if I am drinking and chatting, whereas if I am on my own, the pipe is always a winner.

My usual decision maker is time though. A decent cigar needs a good 45 mins to an hour or more, depending on the size. If I cannot guarantee that, I will smoke a pipe and am happy to put it down and return to it later whenever possible.

As noted by others, the beauty of a pipe is the huge variety of flavours that you can choose from. Although i have a huge variety of cigars from around the world, the range of flavour is not nearly the same!

If I have had a large cigar of an evening, I will often finish off with a mild virginia pipe tobacco.

Basically I love both cigars and pipe!!

IMG02001-20110405-2206 by oxmanonline, on Flickr

The trick is having a really good cigar. I smoke both pipe and cigars, and although I prefer my pipe, I do love a good cigar. Now, what you need to do is to discover just what cigar type is what you like, as there is a vast difference in quality and flavours amongst cigars, and most cigars will give you 2-3 flavour profiles during the course of a smoke.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I got into cigars a few years ago, and really went crazy with it, ending up with several coolers lined with Spanish cedar and humidifiers. Did the Cuban thing for a while, eventually realizing that I didn't really care for them, so sold them all off. Then got to the point that I looked at the quantity of cigars I had and realized that, at 2 a day, I'd be leaving boxes and boxes to my non-smoking son, so sold off most of those too. Now down to one large humidor that has several different sticks that I consider favorites. At one per day during nice weather, I figure I'm good for life!

But the pipe became, and remains, my choice for smoking throughout the day. I've never been organized/disciplined enough to dedicate specific pipes to specific blends, much less keep track of them if I had, so my strategy is to pull out 3 pipes per day, in no particular rotation, smoke the hell out of 'em, and get 3 more the next day, and so on, and so on. I have far more tobacco than I'll ever need and, in the mind of non-collectors, far more pipes than I should have, but I'm content. I likely won't ever buy any more cigars, but with the variety of pipe tobaccos out there, well, I doubt that will ever completely stop.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Bob (still just your basic flake)

"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to the Universe."

Real Name
    Nate
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I know I'm a tad late on this post, but I will throw in my two cents anyways.

Pipes

Think of this as the guy who never wants to settle down with one lady. He's not looking for a long-term relationship, just something he can have fun with and pick up or put down when he wants to. The pipe is the same way. You can light it, smoke it, put it down for a while, come back to it and light it again. There isn't any pressure to finish it in a certain amount of time and it's just relaxing any old time. The flavors tend to be lighter than a cigar and the smell (depending on what the baccy is) is typically pleasant to people around you. The smoke doesn't heavily
    cling to furniture or clothes and you aren't tasting the same baccy four days after you smoke it. Price is also a factor. I can buy 4 ounces of a great pipe tobacco for under 20 bucks and this will last me quite a few smokes. This is very beneficial to the smoker with a light wallet (me). On the other hand, packing, lighting, tamping, relighting, cleaning, etc., can be annoying to some people. However, I find all of those things to be some of the best parts about the pipe smoking experience.

Cigars

Let's think of this as that gal who is looking for the long term relationship. She wants to be in it for the long haul. Once you get that fire started, there ain't no turning back until the end unless you want to waste your money and your time and throw it out the door (literally). Cigars are the same way. Once you toast that cigar and light it up, you are in there for the hour or hour and a half time it takes to smoke the cigar. Putting down a cigar and coming back to it and relighting is not an option (unless you like tasting really wretched things). The smoke is very clingy and typically doesn't smell the greatest to others. However once a cigar is lit, all you have to do it sit back and relax and enjoy it. You shouldn't have to relight it or fool with it in any way other than to dispose of the ash. Price can also be a negative factor for those of us with a light wallet (me....again). Once cigar (a decent one, mind you) can cost $7+. However, sometimes a cigar can be just the thing you need at the end of a long day and it just hits the spot.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

I tend to go back and forth with the seasonal changes. Spring and summer I am primarily smoking cigars. Fall and winter, Its the pipe all the way.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jon
    Pipe smoker since
    2 years

Pipe and Cigars in equal measure, love em both, you guys in the States are really lucky we get taxed about $180 a pound on cigars, and half that on Pipe tobacco, plus 20% value added tax, an example is Tatuaje petit cazadores reserva cigars, $4 a stick Stateside 7 a stick UK. RINSED.

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I enjoy a good cigar, but I enjoy my pipes a lot more often. The cigars are mostly gifts, because I am frugal by nature. I can do a lot of pipe smoking for the cost of a single good cigar. Another issue is the "room note." I smoke in the house, office, car, etc. Most pipe tobaccos are more room friendly to non smokers in my experience.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Thabo
    Pipe smoker since
    30+ years

I'm more a pipe man - the whole ritual is enjoyable. Cigar to me is a "now and then" ... :-)
    "The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

Real Name
    Matthew King
    Pipe smoker since

I currently take to the pipe more often than the cigar, usually 5-1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast