Thread: An Interesting Piece of Tobacciana - Dunhill Dri-Pipe Tubes

Pipe smoker since
    Too long to remember when I started

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

An Interesting Piece of Tobacciana - Dunhill Dri-Pipe Tubes

I am not sure where I picked this box of Dri-Pipe Tubes up but I was going through some stuff in the drawer today and came across this piece of pipe history. Anyone have any ideas on the time frame for these??

The box says: "this absorbent tube is designed to provide a clean dry smoke. It is ideal for wet smokers and should be changed frequently." The box has 100 tubes in it. It is marked Alfred Dunhill Ltd. 30 Duke Street, St. James's, London, S.W.1

Here are a few photos:

Why Worry! I am an old man, and have had many troubles, but most of 'em never happened.

Click on the graphic to read my refurbishing blog - rebornpipes

Re: An Interesting Piece of Tobacciana - Dunhill Dri-Pipe Tubes

That's pretty neat Steve! I don't have any knowledge of them but they look like a hybrid between the Carey Papyrite tubes and the Brigham inserts!?!

Please share any additional info you find out..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks,

Mike

"There are pipes producing sounds divine,
    Pipes containing luscious wine;
    But when I consolation need,
    I take the pipe that burns the weed."

Real Name
    Ted Haviland

Stumped here too. Not a Dunhill piper, so never paid any attention to the Dunny paraphernalia. Hope someone can help you out!
    "…You spend years working hard, trying to establish yourself as a professional, but ya get caught with one sheep out of wedlock and poof, it's all over."

Real Name
    Matthew King
    Pipe smoker since

These look long and skinny in the pictures. What are the dimensions? Similar to a Medico or Grabow pipe filter?

Real Name
    Ian
    Pipe smoker since

An Interesting Piece of Tobacciana - Dunhill Dri-Pipe Tubes

I'm also interested. The only thing I discovered regarding "pipe tubes" and Dunhill were the aluminum tubes that were inserted to help keep the innards "gunk free". I read that was in the early/mid twenties.

I also believe the address listed was the first shop that Alfred Dunhill opened.

...1906 I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Pipe smoker since
    Too long to remember when I started

Quote Originally Posted by Whalehead King View Post
    These look long and skinny in the pictures. What are the dimensions? Similar to a Medico or Grabow pipe filter?
    Indeed it is long and skinny - 1/8 inch diameter and 2 1/2 inches long. It is similar in composition to a Medico or Grabow filter - paper tube with a covering of something not plastic. Inside is paper strands.
    Why Worry! I am an old man, and have had many troubles, but most of 'em never happened.

Click on the graphic to read my refurbishing blog - rebornpipes

Real Name
    Ted Haviland

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Laug View Post
    Indeed it is long and skinny - 1/8 inch diameter and 2 1/2 inches long. It is similar in composition to a Medico or Grabow filter - paper tube with a covering of something not plastic. Inside is paper strands.
    But it doesn't replace the inner-tube? Different size? Then just what model pipes does it fit, I wonder!?!
    "…You spend years working hard, trying to establish yourself as a professional, but ya get caught with one sheep out of wedlock and poof, it's all over."

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here is some information on what I know about the Dunhill "Dri-Pipe" Tubes:

The Dunhill “Dri-Pipe” Tubes were produced up until the early 1960’s. I don’t have a start date, but was told by James Barber in the UK, that production on these filters stopped in the early 60’s. Personally, I have an early 1960’s Dunhill Bulldog that uses the Dunhill “Dri-Pipe” Tubes (filters).

The “Dri-Pipe” Tubes are 3mm pipe filters. As you’re aware, 3mm pipe filters are not common in France, Italy, UK or the US; as most of the common filter pipes are 6mm or 9mm. However, 3mm pipe filters are more common in Germany. There is a German manufacturer, Denicotea.de, that produces both 3mm and 4mm pipe filters.

The Denicotea 3mm filters are the modern replacement for the Dunhill “Dri-Pipe” Tubes.

This may not be a lot of information, but I hope this is useful for others.

Cheers!
    Last edited by BilliardsAndBulldogs; 03-04-2019 at 22:43.