Thread: C&:D Night Train

C&:D Night Train

This is a complex and interesting blend. It is all natural, with no flavoring or additives that I can detect. Obviously that doesn't mean there are none used, but none that I pick up - this is just about as natural a tobacco as you will find.
    To my palate it is very VA forward, with burley way in the background and just a enough Perique to jazz it up a little. It is mildly sweet, along the lines of brown sugar, honey, and graham crackers, but the burley and perique perfectly temper the sweetness to create a well balanced and never cloying blend which still has a lovely Virginia dominated character. You can think of this in terms of a hoppy beer, if you wish, with the zesty, bitter hops balancing the sweetness of the malts.

This blend comes pressed in a brick, and rubs up with great ease pretty much however finely you desire. I tend to rub it out to a "fish food" consistancy, much like Old Joe Krantz, but sometimes also leave it just slightly chunkier for a slower burn. When fully rubbed, it reaches perfect moisture in a matter of around 15 minutes or so. It comes a bit moister than most C&D blends, quite likely due to being pressed.

With a 1lb block of the stuff available for less than 35 bucks currently at many online retailers, this blend is a true bargain. It possesses enough depth of flavor, richness, and strength to satisfy me, and offers a slow, satisfying burn. There are many blends I enjoy as much as this, but there are very few that surpass it.

I will say that the first time I tried it was from a 2oz tin, though I'm currently working through a pound of the stuff. The first two or three smokes rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't really "get" it. I found it had an astringent and harsh flavor for the first few minutes before settling down. These days I never notice that quality, and find it a thoroughly pleasant smoke from start to finish. If at first you don't like it, give it several more tries; you may be like me and learn to love it.

While it may not be for everyone, I truly love this tobacco. Four stars on all points.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since
    Great review, Brian! Do you mind if we promote this to an article?
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Chiz
    That is a great review as Herb said and it has set my taste buds a-tingling. I like "Va forward," sounds like one for the wish-list. Thanks, Brian.
    Chiz
    Which in sleep had fallen on you-
    Ye are many they are few.

Real Name
    Ian
    Pipe smoker since
    That is a great baccy. Wonderful review!

It's a shame you have to pull teeth to get it across the pond.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    Great review, Brian! Do you mind if we promote this to an article?
    No problem Herb:puffy

Sent from another galaxy using Tapatalk 4 beta

I always have some Night Train on hand. I consider it a VaPer well rounded or tamed by the burley.