Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Fixing a Stem, an Experiment

  1. #1
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    9,474


    10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Fixing a Stem, an Experiment

    Ok, so after my other work with black superglue, I thought I would try to fix this. I started this last weekend. It took multiple applications and significant drying time. At one point, it did not look like the glue could fill such a large hole. In the end it did. I don't think the patch is completely rigid, and this won't be a clencher, but I'm not one. I would still say the best option would be a new hand cut stem, but I had the time and the curiosity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Moderator Etph3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Florida panhandle (Lower Alabama)
    Real Name
    Ian
    Pipe smoker since
    2010
    Posts
    3,761


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Nice work Dave! I may have to try that with a Stanwell I've been neglecting due to such an issue.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

    Proud member of the Walrus Club

  3. #3
    PSU Member Peter Piper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Real Name
    Chiz
    Posts
    2,706


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Good work and thanks for sharing it, it is a technique I keep meaning to try for myself.
    Chiz
    ______________________________________
    Rise like Lions after slumber
    In unvanquishable number,
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you-
    Ye are many they are few.

  4. #4
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    9,474


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    The reveal, a pipe I've had for over a year by P. Holtorp. I remember when I bought it, it was listed as Bolton, which made me laugh, I couldn't stop thinking Michael Bolton. The more interesting thing when I saw the pipe, is the similarity to Sven Knudsen's shape 41. Both Holtorp and Knudsen sold pipes at PipeDan, and you can see how the design and shaping of one artist must have influenced the other. I think I would credit S. Knudsen with idea for the shape, as it can be seen in early W.O. Larsen catalogs. See Larsen 41 Super for more comparative pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Super Moderator HCraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since
    1989
    Posts
    8,460


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Good work, Dave! I think I've seen Steve Laug go so far as to reconstruct a button with hardened Super Glue, though it never ceases to amaze me.
    Herb

    Proud member of the Walrus Club

  6. #6
    PSU Member BillyPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,929


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    That is some deep refurb there, Dave. Kudos. Beautifully done!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

  7. #7
    Moderator ol gto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    TN
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    1970
    Posts
    5,015


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Nice work Dave!

  8. #8
    ADMINISTRATOR St. Bernhardt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since
    1986
    Posts
    8,011


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Amazing!
    With kind regards, Bo


  9. #9
    Moderator Brooklin Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pickering, Ont. Canada
    Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since
    1970
    Posts
    8,649


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I don't know how this would work on a pipe stem but in making models for my HO rail road I once purchased a kit that had been deformed when removed from the moulding. I used clear super glue as a base then small plastic bits covered again by super glue and repeated several times to repair a rather large gap. Obviously this wouldn't get the workout a pipe stem but in my own mind it was a way of strengthening the repair.

    The development of this black glue seems to be a real bonus for pipe repair. Another nice job on a great looking pipe.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

  10. #10
    PSU Member brian stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    High in the Blue Ridge
    Real Name
    Brian
    Posts
    2,380


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •