Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Free Pipes For Noobies

Real Name
    Joe
    Pipe smoker since
    7th year

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here is what you'll be getting. It's a Willard pot, with ajustomatic stem. An ajustomatic indicates a threaded stem which allows you to 'overturn' the stem clockwise at any time if the stem ever gets out of alignment with the bowl. Willard pipes were made by Sparta Industries (Dr. Grabow) in Sparta, N.C from 1963 to 1975 (about 60,000 pipes per week). Some were distributed by the Post and Base Exchanges that serviced the military during the Vietnam War. Others were produced for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco.
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg

This pipe is refurbished, and ready to pack and smoke when it arrives.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by JoeMan; 02-03-2015 at 05:49.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice! With a history lesson to boot!

Registered Member Jason_Bradshaw's Avatar

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMan View Post
    Here is what you'll be getting. It's a Willard pot, with ajustomatic stem. An ajustomatic indicates a threaded stem which allows you to 'overturn' the stem clockwise at any time if the stem ever gets out of alignment with the bowl. Willard pipes were made by Sparta Industries (Dr. Grabow) in Sparta, N.C from 1963 to 1975 (about 60,000 pipes per week). Some were distributed by the Post and Base Exchanges that serviced the military during the Vietnam War. Others were produced for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco.
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg

This pipe is refurbished, and ready to pack and smoke when it arrives.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Wow! What a looker with a great history to boot! Thank you so much! I can't wait to try it out!

Real Name
    R.D. Henard
    Pipe smoker since
    Over 40 years

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My first pipe was a Willard and I still have it. It was part of "starters kit" that was an inexpensive promotional offer by Carter Hall back in '72. The kit included a pipe (your choice of bent or straight billiard), a pouch of CH and a 4 color, how-to booklet. I'm sure such an offer would be considered an enticement to under-aged kids and, as such, illegal these days. The pipe is a beautiful bent billiard with flawless straight grain and I'm very fond of it for sentimental reasons as well as it being a very good smoker. Whoever gets the Willard pictured above will be a lucky dude.
    You've heard of people who don't know nothin'? I don't even suspect nothin'.

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I have a Grabow pot that is an excellent smoker. I predict you will enjoy this a lot!
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Registered Member Jason_Bradshaw's Avatar

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Package arrived yesterday!! Some Sutliff Creme Brule and this little beauty!! Thank you so much JoeMan! (Don't mind the crappy pipe rest, I made in 2 minutes just for this pic. And the pipe in the background is a slim churchwarden I picked up from a buddy who does estate sales.) First bowl after lunch!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Joe
    Pipe smoker since
    7th year

Hope the pipe smokes well for you for a long time...I believe it will. Creme Brulee was the first aro I tried...and it's still really hard to beat. Pipes and Cigars has it for a very affordable per oz. price.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

Saw this thread and thought....Did I really read that right? Guys, I think this was a great thing you did...Some newbies (of which I am one) either get one pipe at their local Walgreen's Pharmacy and a bag of Captain Black and that is the extent of their collection or they inherit a few pipes from a family member, try them a couple of times, and then let them sit on a shelf in the den. While I have only been smoking pipes for a short time (less than a couple of months), I have so far started collecting pipes to clean up and start into my rotation. Currently I have 4 that I smoke in sequence, with 4 more to be added...If I had a pipe that I could donate to the cause I would...maybe down the road I will get a few more (you can never have enough I guess ) and see what I can put into the ring. Keep up the great work guys...

Take Care and Check Six!

McGyver
    Last edited by McGyver; 08-05-2016 at 02:57. Reason: addition to text

Noobie here any pipes left?

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Adam Hull
    Pipe smoker since
    4 years

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Definitely very good post!! Never seen anything like this before very nice of the more experienced guys sharing with the younger newer guys! Not just an education but a new piece to put into your rotation!

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324