Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brial

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
    I was at JB Hayes yesterday in VA, looking thru an 800 pipe estate collection. I found one of those Brial pipes. I google the name and this thread came up.
    This one had the center wire, which I suspect was there to hold some sort of filter media. I grabbed a couple of Falcons. I'm sure the Brial will still be there on my next visit if anyone is interested.
    Horrid-looking article! I bet it will still be there should you go back in five years!!

Here's the lot. It's been pretty well picked thru by two Winchester Pipe Club meeting members. But, I found this quartet.

Pipe smoker since
    Too long to remember when I started

That was amazing lot of pipes Al. Nice choices on your part.

Bill did you ever make that pipe you write about?
    Last edited by Steve Laug; 11-08-2014 at 12:57.
    Why Worry! I am an old man, and have had many troubles, but most of 'em never happened.

Click on the graphic to read my refurbishing blog - rebornpipes

Makes me want to get some briar bowls and start cutting metal tube. I should think it would smoke cool. Echos the design of a Reverse Calabash but with a huge second chamber. There's a guy whose posted to Brothers of Briar who makes his own RCs, and he has said that the larger the second chamber is, the cooler the smoke.

Honest, I'm inspired. The tricky part is the attachment of the bowl to the tube, I would think.

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

Quote Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
    Here's the lot. It's been pretty well picked thru by two Winchester Pipe Club meeting members. But, I found this quartet.

I don't reckon that Figural still there..............is it Riff?

Not a calabash in modern parlance, but a reverse calabash, I would say.

If we consider a calabash, the cooling occurs inside the gourd or whatever material is used to make the body, which is mostly under the insert holding the tobacco. The RC that I have made by Radice is a chubby with the cooling chamber just behind the bottom of the tobacco chamber. A wall separates the tobacco chamber from the cooling chamber. The stem's large tenon, with almost the same diameter as the RC chamber, fits directly into the mortise, which only accommodates a quarter inch of the push tenon. At this juncture there is nothing closing off the RC chamber.

So the RC chamber is really more under and behind the tobacco chamber. Maybe a better name for these pipes would be UBC for "under and behind calabash" which is a good description of the cooling chamber in this metal pipe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123