Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Post Pictures... Please Read!

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

How To Post Pictures... Please Read!

There are various ways to go about posting pictures on PSU...

Here's some of the ways to do it:

1) Use the "Insert Image" feature:

Hit the "Insert Image" button, it looks like this:

Select the picture on your computer and choose "Upload Files"... the picture will then be attached where your cursor stands in your post.

Here's an example:

MarioGrandi.jpg

2) Use the "Attachments" function:

Hit the "Attachments" button with the paperclip icon on it... Please note that if you start a thread, the button will be there right away; if you just reply to a post in a thread, you have to "Go Advanced" by choosing this in the post. The button is this one:

When you hit the Attach button, a new window called "Manage Attachments" opens (or places itself on the task line depending on your computer settings)...

Choose "Add Files" and select the files from your computer... the files will then stand ready to be uploaded. Choose Upload Files.

If you choose "Done", the picture will be attached at the end of the post... if you choose "Insert Inline", you have to check the little box at the picture and choose "Insert Inline". The picture(s) will then be inserted where your cursor stands in your post.

In this case, I chose "Insert Inline":

MarioGrandi.jpg

3) Using a photo server service (remote hosting):

There are various photo servers on the Internet that are FREE!

For instance, you can sign up on photobucket.com, imageshack.com, flicker etc... I can recommend postimage.org if you don't need to save the pictures.

When using postimage.org, select the picture on your computer and then copy the bar to the right of the link called "Hotlink for forums (1)"... clicking on the bar copies it and even tells you it's been copied!

Here's an example using postimage.org:

screengrab

Notice that it says "Screengrab" below the picture? You can remove this by since deleting the second url line... I've put a red line under the url to remove in this screenshot:

If you use Photobucket, simply copy the bar called "IMG" below the uploaded picture and insert it into your post.

Picture example of Mario Grandi pipe by Ian ("Etph3030").

I hope this small tutorial was helpful!
    With kind regards, Bo

Real Name
    Astrid

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Very Helpful, thanks Bo.!!!!

Real Name
    Jason Williams

Bo, is there an admin preferred method? One that uses less server space or bandwidth or whatever it is that matters?
    He who loses money, loses much;
    He who loses a friend, loses more;
    He who loses faith, loses all.

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Pics used from remote hostings take up less space on the server if you - in the Insert Image window in the "From URL" tap - uncheck the option "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

BUT we have plenty of space, and the picture size limits have been increased to allow quite large pics...
    With kind regards, Bo

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by ARMY MOUNT View Post
    Pics used from remote hostings take up less space on the server if you - in the Insert Image window in the "From URL" tap - uncheck the option "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

BUT we have plenty of space, and the picture size limits have increased to allow quite large pics...
    Please also note that if you uncheck the option above, when the picture shows up in the post, it will be retrieved from the remote host each time it is viewed, so if in the future you take the picture down from that site, move it to a different folder, close your account, etc., an error message will appear in it's place, like this one from Photobucket:

Error.jpg

Just something to consider.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for adding that info, Herb!
    With kind regards, Bo

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thx all for the info! Now all I need to do is figure out where the hell the pic is gonna show up on my 'puter after it leaves my camera!
    Bob (still just your basic flake)

"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to the Universe."

Real Name
    Mark Smith
    Pipe smoker since

Great info guys! I'm sure that will make it easier for everyone to get pics in their posts.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Benjamin Franklin

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Ally, I have done and it says it can't re-size my file. Sorry, I'm an IT klutz!!

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Ally, I have done and it says it can't re-size my file. Sorry, I'm an IT klutz!!
    This program may help, I've been using it to resize pictures locally (on my own computer) for about a month now. Use it once or twice and you can get the hang of it. Select a file, select a re-size, and convert. You can overwrite, or not, depending on if you want to keep the original image.

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-P...-10319476.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast