Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869

Thread: Wine

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Long post, sorry.

There has been much advice about ‘matching’ wine with smoked salmon and other smoked oily fish, e,g. German Reislings, Austrian Gruner Veltliner, Gewurtztraminer etc, BUT if the match is not perfect, the combo can be pretty horrible.

My strong preference is to go for a ‘neutral’ wine that will not compete with the flavours of the smoked salmon.

Fevre Chablis Grand Cru “Les Clos” 2007

This is about as good as Chablis gets. Bone dry, and with a mineral-like background - gravelly, in a way that makes me think of the first smell when rain hits hot paving stones. The fruit is acidic, almost lemony, and the aftertaste is very long.

This ‘neutral’ wine will not try to ‘match’ or ‘compete with’ the the oily smokiness of the salmon – rather, with laser-like precision, it will cut right through it.

Les Clos 2007.jpg

Kumeu River Mates (pronounced “Matties”) Vineyard Chardonnay 2014

I have been buying (and drinking) the Kumeu River chardonnays since they were first introduced to the UK. IMO they are the finest white wines produced in NZ, and the single vineyard crus (Mates is the best of three) as good as/ better than any other New World chardonnay. They are modest in price for their quality, but prices are creeping up now the word is out.

In blinded tastings, famous pundits/tasters often mistake them for the most expensive white burgundies going for 10x or even 20x the price (both arms, both legs and both testicles) !!

This will go very well with any fish dish (including fash ‘n’ chips).

Perhaps of interest to Jim, who posted last week about an inexpensive white wine that was said to resemble a white burgundy, I have pasted below a recent blinded tasting of the world’s finest chardonnays. Of course the price of the Kumeu River wines will now be on the exponential!!!!

Kumeu River vs. White Burgundy Blind
    Another Shock Result!

"We’ve just heard about another amazing achievement by Kumeu River’s Maté’s Vineyard Chardonnay from the 2014 vintage. It was recently served in a blind line-up in London of twenty big name Chardonnays from Burgundy and the best of the New World.

The result was that Kumeu River's Maté's Vineyard 2014 was the highest rated of all the New World Wines and beat 8 of the French wines, finishing in third place overall just behind two wines that sell at 20 and 16 times its price!

In fact, it was the lowest priced wine in the entire tasting and its competition included these big name Burgundies (priced per bottle ex. VAT) :-

Meursault Rougeot 2009 Coche-Dury (£728)
    Montrachet 2014 Marc Colin (£671)
    Chevalier Montrachet 2014 Leflaive (£540)
    Le Montrachet 2012 Fontaine Gagnard (£475)
    Le Montrachet 2011 Marquis de Laguiche (£450)
    Meursault Clos des Ambres 2014 Arnaud Ente (£425)
    Meursault 2014 Arnaud Ente (£317)
    Batard Montrachet 2013 Bernard Moreau (£314)
    Kumeu River Maté’s Vineyard 2014 (£26.50)

A full report on this tasting can be found here.

All twenty wines were served blind in random order and assessed by a group of tasters which included merchants, collectors and critics such as Neal Martin of Vinous (and formerly of the Wine Advocate). This was the result:

1st place : Chevalier Montrachet 2014 Domaine Leflaive (£540)
    2nd place : Meursault Clos des Ambres 2014 Arnaud Ente (£425)
    3rd place : Kumeu River Maté’s Vineyard 2014 (£26.50)

This is another astonishing result for Kumeu River. Is this the world’s greatest value white wine? We think so and blind tastings such as this (and others before it) keep proving us right! "

Mates Kum.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-13-2018 at 17:47.

Pipe smoker since

Great post, Chris.

My worry though was the addition of pickled onions and gherkins to the smoked salmon you mentioned in the other thread when you're drinking such a fine white Burgundy.

The test is - did it work?
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    Great post, Chris.

My worry though was the addition of pickled onions and gherkins to the smoked salmon you mentioned in the other thread when you're drinking such a fine white Burgundy.

The test is - did it work?
    Thanks, Jim. I know more about the subject and find it easier to analyse/talk about wine than I do pipes/tobacco. Pipering is a hobby - wine is my passion! Also, I started collecting wine before I ever picked up a pipe.

In answer to your question, the purity and the remaining acidity of this middle-aged Chablis joined with the capers and pickled onions in the 'acid attack' to counterbalance the smokiness and oiliness of the smoked salmon. It worked!
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-13-2018 at 19:29.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

The wife has abandoned me this evening to go and gab with the girls for hours on end so it's only me for dinner....plus the dogs watching on.

A decent steak and chips tonight while supping a bargain basement Bodega Orfila Malbec from Mendoza. 60 pesos a bottle (less than £2) here but it tastes alright to me despite the poor reviews from the amateur online wine experts .

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Wine-o-clock approacheth, so I’ll post these now. The missus does not like me tapping away when we are sharing a bottle, and rightly so.

“Comtes de Champagne” is Taittinger’s Grande Marque and often our absolute favourite. Because it is all/mostly chardonnay grape-derived, it goes well with smoked salmon, for the same reasons as last night’s Chablis.

taittinger-comtes-blanc-de-blancs-1998.jpg

With the steak, I will drink this CNDP.

Like with the “second” wines of Bordeaux, the ‘lesser’ CNDPs punch above their weight in the best vintages. 2007 was an outstanding vintage in the southern Rhone.

I haven’t tried this wine before, but for c, ten quid a bottle wholesale I doubt it will disappoint.

clos saint jean 2007.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-14-2018 at 15:53.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

We are drinking this again. I reported on it last week. Dry, but with a hint of honeyed fruit (peach/apricot) that makes it excellent on its own or with oriental dishes, but not with the curry the missus is cooking!

£12 a bottle - Ye cannae whack it!

_coudoulet_blanc_2015.png

With that, I will be drinking this, the only time I would deliberately drink beer with food:

pedigree.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-15-2018 at 16:25.

Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A "plonky" Chianti tonight for pork escalopes:

Chianti.jpg

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Even in the 70's, V & C was a growing empire. They were the biggest importer of Italian wines in the UK (and may still be).

http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/wine

Yesterday, I chose Pieropan Calvarino as the white. This is not as rich as the La Rocca that I have shown before. It is not oaked, and at c. £15 is less expensive than the La Rocca - great with food.

calvarino.jpg

Because it was a special occasion - celebrating my son's big job offer - I had no compunction in choosing this red wine from Tuscany. Fontodi IMO make the best chianti wines in Tuscany, but this is a step above. Made from Sangiovese grapes, it is super-smooth, rich, and as good as any Italian red I have tasted recently. It cost me £80, but would have been >£250 in a restaurant.

It was perfect with the rigatoni and Tuscan sausage:

flaccionello.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; Today at 13:10.

Pipe smoker since

Daughter's (47th) birthday today.

Kath.jpg

Aldi strikes again!

Veuve-Monsigny-Champagne-Brut-A.jpg

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869