Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

If you get Niagara Ontario wines look for the labels on this list. I have cellared or at least tasted these several times and they are consistent. Niagara is best known for Cabernet Franc, Baco & Pinot Noir and a blend of three or more grapes called a Meritage. I wouldn't chase too many cab sauvs or merlots from here. I don't know what price you would get them in England but they range from $25 - $40 C$. I can't help you with whites we don't drink them. Here's the list and I would hold these wines up against any in the world. I am a member of Vinophiles and used to speculate in them some time ago. I've been stocking up on these as I have tobacco. I won't need a mortician as I intend to pickle myself along the way.

Vineland Estate Reserve Cabernet Franc **** my personal stars
    Kacaba Vineyards 2007 Cabernet Franc Reserve **** my personal stars but pricey.
    Hillebrand Estates Winery 2008 Showcase Cabernet Franc ‘Carlton Vineyard’
    Peller Estates Winery 2008 Signature Series Cabernet Franc
    Pillitteri Estates Winery 2007 Exclamation Reserve Cabernet Franc
    Rosewood Estates Winery 2008 Cabernet Franc
    Tawse Lauritzen Vineyard Pinot Noir
    Tawse Winery Laidlaw Pinot Noir
    Stoney Ridge Cellars Excellence Pinot Noir *****my personal stars
    Rosewood Estates Winery Pinot Noir Reserve
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Dave

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Very interesting Bill. People who go to the effort of making wine tend to take it very seriously, in other words try very hard to make good wine. It's a very crowded marketplace. Some very good reds are made on the North fork of Long Island, my old stomping grounds. My last list had a Rafael Vineyards Estate Merlot 2002, which at that point was eight years old. It would stand up against any right bank Bordeaux.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

I is truly amazing how the wine industry has matured outside of the traditional European producers. I've had some great Aussie & California wines and Washington State has come up with a great Cab-Sauv called Mountain .....something I can't remember. When I was in my 20's the only wines you could get from Niagara were Labrusca Concord and terrible. All of a sudden immigrants bought land in the 70's and imported mature vines from the "old" country. It started to bloom in the early 90's and has gotten better every year. These wines are winning world competitions now. If someone knows was this the same phenomenon in California too?
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Dave

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Short answer, yes exactly. There is a great book about the history of the California wine business, and it's development after the war. Of course, I can't remember the title, I'll have to get back to you on that, but it is a very good read.

Real Name
    Dave

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here are two very good reads, not the book I was thinking of about California, but well worth the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Heartbreak-Gra...artbreak+grape

http://www.amazon.com/Wine-War-Franc...s=wine+and+war

Real Name
    Alan

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Plugugly is gonna love this thread. I bow out as Guinness doesn't have the same appeal

Real Name
    Bobby Stubbs
    Pipe smoker since
    40 years off and on

I know nothing about wine
    I drink may be 2 shots of whiskey a year to help me sleep..take it like medicine
    My Aunt and Uncle used to have wine for dinner and supper..they would pour me a small glass and tell me it was good for me ..Mogan David Concord Grape ..My Daddy called it MAD DOG.. Wonder why ?
    LORD..Help me become the kind of man my little dog thinks I am !

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Briar View Post
    Plugugly is gonna love this thread. I bow out as Guinness doesn't have the same appeal
    Alan is quite correct in his assertion! I have been tasting wines for forty years, and seriously collecting them for eighteen years. I have about 300 cases stored in "Octavian Vaults" under the Wiltshire hills. My aim is to buy no more fine wines once I have retired - If I'm spared!!

I favour "Old World' wines, and I read everything Robert Parker (the famous American wine pundit) says about them. I won't bore you here but I'm happy to talk to anyone about wine.

The only Niagran wines wines I have tasted are the 'Ice Wines', some of which are superlative.

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

I love wine, especiall red wine...

I am not that into the "spicy" Italian wines but prefer nice, full-bodied ones, especially from Australia and New Zealand...
    With kind regards, Bo

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Here are two very good reads, not the book I was thinking of about California, but well worth the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Heartbreak-Gra...artbreak+grape

http://www.amazon.com/Wine-War-Franc...s=wine+and+war
    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Alan is quite correct in his assertion! I have been tasting wines for forty years, and seriously collecting them for eighteen years. I have about 300 cases stored in "Octavian Vaults" under the Wiltshire hills. My aim is to buy no more fine wines once I have retired - If I'm spared!!

I favour "Old World' wines, and I read everything Robert Parker (the famous American wine pundit) says about them. I won't bore you here but I'm happy to talk to anyone about wine.

The only Niagran wines wines I have tasted are the 'Ice Wines', some of which are superlative.
    Chris your going to need a lot of friends when you retire, I'm sure I've heard of Robert Parker on the old Wine Channel, which stopped transmitting a long time ago, which is a pity.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast