Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 936

Thread: Wine

  1. #21
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,711


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by briandevlin View Post
    Chris your going to need a lot of friends when you retire, I'm sure I've heard of Robert Parker on the old Wine Channel, which stopped transmitting a long time ago, which is a pity.

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    No Brian, just me and the missus - If I involve friends I will need MUCH more wine!!

    PS Mr Parker has also written lots of books

  2. #22
    PSU Member allyby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Scotland.
    Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.
    Posts
    14,446


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Briar View Post
    Plugugly is gonna love this thread. I bow out as Guinness doesn't have the same appeal
    The same could be said for Irn Bru and deep fried Mars Bars Alan.

  3. #23
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,711


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    The same could be said for Irn Bru and deep fried Mars Bars Alan.
    Ally, forgot to add that I also had a litre of IRN BRU this morn - a crucial element in my anti-hangover strategy!!

  4. #24
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    9,013


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    So Chris, amongst the 300 cases, what wines are most heavily represented? And since I think you also enjoy Port, favorite Port houses?

  5. #25
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,711


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Dave, I thought you were off to sleep!! If not, this will be the perfect hypnotic:

    - First, I don't long-term cellar any white wines, with the exception of Sauternes (Yquem is the best but $$$$$$, IMO the best value is Ruissec $$$)

    - I have Bordeaux from 1983 - 2010. I don't buy any now because the best can take 20 years to mature, and I'd like to live to drink it!! IMO the best recent vintages are 2000, 2005, 2009 and 2010. I have gallons of the 2000 and 2005 from $$ to $$$$$

    - Over the past decade I have grown to love red Rhone wines. Some of the best Chateauneuf's are as good as any wine in the world. My favourites are 'Beaucastel' and 'Clos des Papes' both $$$. IMO the best recent vintages are 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009 and 2010. At the $$$$ level are Chave and Guigal single vineyard Hermitage wines - produced since ancient times!!

    I like having wines from the 'birth year' of my loved ones. I have six bottles left of 1983 Ch Palmer (my Daughter) and a case of 1990 Montrose (gifted to my son) AND two cases of 1970 port (Taylor and Fonseca), a miraculous vintage for port - and the year my wife was born.

    - Port! I love it and it is the perfect accompaniment to a late-night pipe. IMO, Taylors, Fonseca and Dows are the best, and the best recent (!) vintages are 1970, 1977 and 1994. Port seems to have gone out of fashion somewhat in the last 100 years, so it is relatively good value. You can pick up a case of excellent 1994 for about £300.


    Are you asleep yet???

  6. #26
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,711


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Dave, I thought you were off to sleep!! If not, this will be the perfect hypnotic:

    - First, I don't long-term cellar any white wines, with the exception of Sauternes (Yquem is the best but $$$$$$, IMO the best value is Ruissec $$$)

    - I have Bordeaux from 1983 - 2010. I don't buy any now because the best can take 20 years to mature, and I'd like to live to drink it!! IMO the best recent vintages are 2000, 2005, 2009 and 2010. I have gallons of the 2000 and 2005 from $$ to $$$$$

    - Over the past decade I have grown to love red Rhone wines. Some of the best Chateauneuf's are as good as any wine in the world. My favourites are 'Beaucastel' and 'Clos des Papes' both $$$. IMO the best recent vintages are 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009 and 2010. At the $$$$ level are Chave and Guigal single vineyard Hermitage wines - produced since ancient times!!

    I like having wines from the 'birth year' of my loved ones. I have six bottles left of 1983 Ch Palmer (my Daughter) and a case of 1990 Montrose (gifted to my son) AND two cases of 1970 port (Taylor and Fonseca), a miraculous vintage for port - and the year my wife was born.

    - Port! I love it and it is the perfect accompaniment to a late-night pipe. IMO, Taylors, Fonseca and Dows are the best, and the best recent (!) vintages are 1970, 1977 and 1994. Port seems to have gone out of fashion somewhat in the last 100 years, so it is relatively good value. You can pick up a case of excellent 1994 for about £300.


    Are you asleep yet???
    Jeez, forgot the Champagne!! Her Indoors would never forgive me - she loves it and was really responsible for my getting to like>love it.problem is you really need to pay >$$$ for the good stuff, and the best cellars well for decades. Best vintages are 1996 and 2002. I cellar Dom Perignon, 'Comte du Champagne', Krug ($$$$$) and Billecart Salmon.

  7. #27
    PSU Member Kevin Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    San Benito
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Pipe smoker since
    1979
    Posts
    248


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Me and Jerry Jeff Walker like Sangria wine...low brows!


  8. #28
    Moderator jimbo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Pipe smoker since
    1960
    Posts
    11,017


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    ......1990 Montrose ......

    a fourth that should be at least a second?

    ......Port seems to have gone out of fashion somewhat in the last 100 years, so it is relatively good value. You can pick up a case of excellent 1994 for about £300.

    ..and sherry is totally forgotten and is exceptional value (no, not a dusty bottle of Harveys in Grandma's cupboard!).

  9. #29
    Moderator jimbo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Pipe smoker since
    1960
    Posts
    11,017


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Jeez, forgot the Champagne!! Her Indoors would never forgive me - she loves it and was really responsible for my getting to like>love it.problem is you really need to pay >$$$ for the good stuff, and the best cellars well for decades. Best vintages are 1996 and 2002. I cellar Dom Perignon, 'Comte du Champagne', Krug ($$$$$) and Billecart Salmon.
    I can't get too serious about champagne; the ones I really like (heavier Pinot Noir) such as Ruinart, Bollinger and, yes, Krug, aren't really affordable in the quantities that I'd like to drink (pint pots!) and I always think what a good red wine I could have bought instead.
    Last edited by jimbo44; 06-12-2016 at 17:04.

  10. #30
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,711


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    I can't get too serious about champagne; the ones I really like (heavier Pinot Noir) such as Ruinart, Bollinger and, yes, Krug, aren't really affordable in the quantities that I'd like to drink (pint pots!) and I always think what a good red wine I could have bought instead.
    All good points, Jimbo, and I agree with every one. Jancis Robinson (the UK 'Lady of Wine') says Champagne becomes worth drinking at about £100 per BOTTLE!!!

    But my own "Champagne Girl" is worth it, and we don't crack a bottle often!!
    Last edited by jimbo44; 06-12-2016 at 17:05.

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •