things are up and running again. Thanks for the work that you
    do keeping this project running.
    Fred
    Student and Devotee of the White Goddess
    Just another Old Codger in Texas...

Real Name
    Dallas
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks, Fred - I look forward to your new article!
    Cheers, Dallas

I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs - Albert Einstein

Registered Member Foggymountain's Avatar

All the elaborate preparation mentioned below strike me as similar to a Japanese tea ceremony. I won't say just as silly, because I have never been to an actual tea ceremony, they might be quite splendid. But I have had meers. All you have to do is keep them dry, clean as convenient and don't bang them around. When they color, the color gets so dark that minor discolorations on the surface from grime or whatever won't even be noticed. If you must clean the outside, put a little very strong gin on a rag or towel and use that to rub it. No smoker should be afraid of mishandling his meerschaum. Just follow the few cautions I mentioned. Try to remember the pipe is there to serve you, not the other way around.

Real Name
    Mathias
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Foggymountain View Post
    All the elaborate preparation mentioned below strike me as similar to a Japanese tea ceremony. I won't say just as silly, because I have never been to an actual tea ceremony, they might be quite splendid. But I have had meers. All you have to do is keep them dry, clean as convenient and don't bang them around. When they color, the color gets so dark that minor discolorations on the surface from grime or whatever won't even be noticed. If you must clean the outside, put a little very strong gin on a rag or towel and use that to rub it. No smoker should be afraid of mishandling his meerschaum. Just follow the few cautions I mentioned. Try to remember the pipe is there to serve you, not the other way around.
    i perfectly agree, i just use a lightly wet spounge, humid one, to clean the inner bowl when it's necessary, thath is to say, rarely, for the rest,never worn a glove, always pipe firmly in my hand, to me the outside does never requires cleaning. (except obvoiusly for second heavly used meer).
    outdoor pipe smoker, my room note is people's expression.
    green colorless ideas sleep furiously. N. Chomsky

Proud Member #1 of the Walrus Club,

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

I found all this information was most informative and I have only one question. I have a Pioneer acorn shaped meerschaum pipe from the early 70's, and it's exterior is dry. There was never a beeswax coating, and it's personally the first block meer pipe I've seen that was "unfinished" or unwaxed. It seems to be coloring alright after smoking a little over 10 bowls through it ( It was like brand new when I got it from my grandfather) but I'm wondering it it would be a good idea to wax it? I'm really leaning towards leaving it unwaxed, but I can imagine it would look great waxed properly, as well.

Real Name
    Duncan
    Pipe smoker since

Ok gents, I've got a peterson meer with a silver collar. One of the Manx made ones, it was in a pretty bad state and I have removed excess cake as I did not put it there! Can I salt treat the bowl like you would a briar pipe? I don't want to ruin the pipe if this will bugger it up.
    Cheers
    Dunc

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I noticed today when I was going to look at the "Caring for a Meerschaum Pipe" link that the link does not work. I think they probably changed the link since it was new.

This is the link that I got from the site. https://www.altinokpipes.com/meerschaum-care

The difference is that they are now using the https vs. the http (the old link was the same except for the hyperlink protocol heading)

Just in case anyone was looking for the Meer Care page.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12