Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast

Thread: Todays Stogie is???

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A Cohiba Lancero from 2002.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Half toscanello in briar,.. too hot today for a pipe.
    Good day to all.

Inviato dal mio ME371MG utilizzando Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Montecristo "Edmundo":

edmundo.jpg

Back in my cigar smoking days, and when I was in funds, I used to smoke Cuban Montecristos (No. 2 for preference), Cohiba Robustos, and when I wanted a long, strong smoke, Partagas Lusitanias. I don't miss cigars, but always enjoy one if I am given one.

This Edmundo has a decent ring-gauge and a nice length, so off into the garden we go!!

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Fuente Brevas with the Connecticut wrapper.

007-041-0094.jpg

This is a cheap, short filler cigar, but the clippings are from pricier Fuente cigars. The perfect yard/garden cigar.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Montecristo "Edmundo":

edmundo.jpg

Back in my cigar smoking days, and when I was in funds, I used to smoke Cuban Montecristos (No. 2 for preference), Cohiba Robustos, and when I wanted a long, strong smoke, Partagas Lusitanias. I don't miss cigars, but always enjoy one if I am given one.

This Edmundo has a decent ring-gauge and a nice length, so off into the garden we go!!
    I dislike answering my own posts, but I might add:

That Edmundo gave me a grand 100 min smoke, even in a fairly stiff breeze. The first third was mild and not very interesting. The middle third was tasty, with that rich, nutty flavour I remember well from Montecristo days gone by. The final third was the same, but stronger in flavor - nic-medium - and quite intoxicating. It took me back to holidays in Mallorca, when I would smoke one with a glass of warmed Don Carlos Primero brandy on the side.

Thanks F-I-L !!
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-21-2018 at 15:11.

Pipe smoker since
    February 2016

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Cohiba & Coffee 😋

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Livin' the pipe dream....

Pipe smoker since
    February 2016

Just returned from a few days on the French Riviera with MLW where I enjoyed the following sticks, the second being my first real dip into non-Cuban territory.

Montecristo No.4....

Oliva Serie V Melanio Gran Reserva Limitada....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Livin' the pipe dream....

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Just been in the garden to smoke a celebratory cigar - a Partagas Series No.1 "Limited Edition 2017" - an expensive number, but GQ gave me a 'freebie' Partagas 8-9-8 (by no means cheap, either). Back in the day, I used to smoke Montecristos and Partagas (usually 8-9-8 "varnished box").

Today's cigar gave me a good hour's smoke while I supervised the missus in her gardening toils. I remember the distinctive loamy/earthy taste of Partagas, with its slightly bitter aftertaste (not bad - a bit like that of an espresso coffee). For the first third, it was pretty uninteresting; the middle third was better and the flavours really came through; the final third was very interesting, with a decent nic-hit (medium/medium+). It was very pleasant, but for the price of two tins of pipe tobacco it will not become a habit!

The celebration relates to D#2's recent achievement; not just her top exam grades, but the fact that Glasgow University (her top choice for the course she wants) sent her an email outside the regular admissions system offering an unconditional place if she applies before the end of January. "Unconditional" means that the place is not dependent on the exams she will sit next year. In my experience, this kind of 'direct' offer rarely happens, in fact I have not heard of it before. Clever girl!!!

partagas_limited_edition_2__39592.1526576831.1280.1280.jpg

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

I'll eventually get around to actually buying and smoking a Cuban cigar one of these days....just to get it out of my system more than anything else. The Buenos Aires tobacconists are certainly far more geared up for the cigar smoker rather than the pipe smoker. Which is useful as I know absolutely nothing about cigars.
    One question? Do you have to smoke a cigar all at 'one sitting' or can you let it go out and go back to it?

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I'll eventually get around to actually buying and smoking a Cuban cigar one of these days....just to get it out of my system more than anything else. The Buenos Aires tobacconists are certainly far more geared up for the cigar smoker rather than the pipe smoker. Which is useful as I know absolutely nothing about cigars.
    One question? Do you have to smoke a cigar all at 'one sitting' or can you let it go out and go back to it?
    You can go back to it, Crawford - not so good the next day though, in my distant experience. Back in the day, the cheapest place to buy Havana cigars was Spanish-associated territory, so you might do well in BA - why not try a Montecristo No. 4 or 3 ?