Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays Stogie is???

Quote Originally Posted by pipe_ninja View Post
    Undercrown Grand Toro
    I've been surprised by these. Have you tried the Liga Privada's yet Paul?
    LIVE your life...don't be a spectator. It's a short game.

Quote Originally Posted by psquared View Post
    I've been surprised by these. Have you tried the Liga Privada's yet Paul?
    No not yet, they've been harder to come by then the Opus X, so it seems.
    "I am a mystery wrapped inside of a riddle wrapped inside of an enigma"

Have some time to spare...wanna look at pics...visit: www.psaphotos.com

I will fix that for you. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by psquared View Post
    I will fix that for you. ;)
    That's certainly not necessary, but who am I to turn down a Liga Privada...VERY MUCH APPRECIATED kind sir :) !!!!!!

And I forgot to mention, I'm very pleased with the Undercrown as well...Think once I get back working again I will be getting myself a box. But I might settle on the 5 on 5 sampler that Pipes and Cigars is offering....5 Undercrown Rubustos and 5 Padron 3000 Maduro

But I'm biased too, I am very big fan of Drew Estate (currenly burning a Acid Larry Extra Ordinary)...but the Undercrown is giving my two "natural" cigars a run for their money (Avo #2 and the Romeo y Juliette Reserva Real)

And thanks again :) !

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I know people rag on DE, but I take the pipesmokers philosophy of "...smoke what you like and you'll like what you smoke." I like an occasional aro pipe tobacco, but not so much in a cigar. But I believe DE has struck a vein with the Liga Privada and Undercrown lines. Very good sticks. Have some of each parked in the humidor, and a good stock at the local B&M (Smoker Friendly). Watch the mail brother...

Yeah I dunno...the hard core cigar smokers I've run into seem to give the stink eye at any "flavored" cigar...where in the pipe world it seems to be, for the most part, a "hey, what ever pleases you".

Many years ago I used to belong to the Thompson Cigar's club and I would have a box of the Kahlua's delivered every couple of months...but along with that they would also include a sampler pack (and a very generous sampler pack at that)...which introduced me to many of my favorites.

For me personally, DE aro cigars are like a good aro pipe tobacco...a hint of the flavor with out losing the tobacco taste.

But I'm just getting back into cigars. I stopped at the duty free shop in Frankfurt on my way home last year and, um, "snuck" in some Cuban Cohibas...then my nephew sent me a 3 pack...and now that I've found my old humidor that I thought was long gone...I want to get it stocked up some...

I love my pipes, but I do tend to lean more towards cigars in the summer months (I will smoke a pipe indoors, but cigars...outdoor only, cigar smoke to me lingers to much...30-60 minutes after putting one out, it starts to smell like a wet dog sprayed by skunk). Not to mention, cigars kick the craving for a cig more so than pipes for me.

Real Name
    Mark Smith
    Pipe smoker since

Sounds like you two are having a good time with your stogies. I'm down to my last stick here ( Perdomo Fresco Churchill), and will probably smoke it tonight. I've never tried an Acid cigar, which of them do you guys recommend I try. I'll see if I can pick up a couple when I got to the B&M tomorrow.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Benjamin Franklin

I do enjoy a cigar, but damn, that hobby is expensive (comparatively) when put up against pipes, and you really can't let one go out and come back to it later and have it taste like anything but tar and ash. I do find that I like them when working on the tractor, don't have to tamp 'em, and they generally last longer than a MM cob bowl.

I love my cigars...I love my pipes more, but I really do enjoy a good stick.

Most of, if not all of the Acid lines are "aros" I do believe (been out of the cigar world for a while, so my knowledge is rusty).

I really like the Purple line. It's a more full bodied smoke, and specifically in the Purple line is the Larry's Extra Ordinary. I couldn't quite place all the flavors, but it wasn't overwhelming, to me it seemed to be less sweeter (as in added flavoring) than the other lines) and more tobacco taste.

I had a Grand Toro, which is huge, 6x60 and I got about a 2 hour smoke.

The Blue line seems to be the most mild of the bunch.

If you like coffee and want a smoke that goes extremely well with it, I'd recommend the Drew Estate Tabak Especial.

Apparently this stick has taken place of his old "Kahlua" line, they have the Negra which is a Maduro wrapper, and a Dulce, which I believe is the Connecticut wrapper.

The other we've mentioned, that's worth picking up from Drew Estate is the Undercrown.

So, my recommendation for Drew Estate / Acid (in order)

1. Undercrown (which isn't flavored, I don't know about p2, but I got hints of coffee and a bit of cocoa at times)
    2. Acid Pruple - Extra Ordinary Larry
    3. Tabak Especial (the Kahlua flavored)
    4. Acid Blue - Blondie (this one is sweet, been a while since I have had this one, I find it goes best with iced tea / iced sweet tea)
    5. Java (I haven't had this, heard good things from lovers of the aro cigars) - I may pick on up.

My personal opinion, if you want to try an aro cigar, go with anythign from Drew Estate or his Acid line. The flavors are infused (as opposed to "dipped or whatever others do) so you get the flavoring from start to finish. And not only do you get good flavor, you get it with out losing out on the tobacco flavor.
    Last edited by Paul; 05-23-2012 at 20:49.

You got it Paul, Undercrown kinda cocoa...maybe bitter chocolate. TONS of smoke too. Good spice hit on the retrohale.

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast