Page 479 of 479 FirstFirst ... 379429469477478479
Results 4,781 to 4,788 of 4788

Thread: What's Burning In Your Cob?

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Happy Saturday everyone. Cubs 13, Cards 5. Boy did that get ugly fast. The one constant for the Cards so far this year has been steady starting pitching, that went out the window fast last night, could be a long weekend in Card's country.

Just finished a Diplomat Apple with table scraps which included several Kendals and a little FV Plugs, OGS, and I tasted a little Lakeland soap, so some Dark Flake was in there as well. The usual coffee on the side.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Carter Hall in a brand new MM Missouri Pride and a little history on the side. My father smoked cigars, never saw him with a pipe. My grandfather smoked pipes but he died before I was born so I have no memory of him except pictures. I have two old cobs that were my grandfathers. I took them down to MM and best they could tell they're dated late 40's, early 50's. Grandpappy died in 1952. One is smoked, one is unsmoked. All I know is what my father told me, that he smoked whatever was available OTC or hanging in the barns he grew up on.

Granfather's unsmoked on the left, current Missouri Pride on the right.

Two old cobs, unsmoked left. Even the stickers on the bottom haven't changed much.

I have no idea what or if my Grandfather had a favorite tobacco. All I know is I'm dedicating that new Missouri Pride to Carter Hall and Prince Albert.

As for the first bowl of Carter Hall. I enjoyed it much. I look at the reviews and see chocolate and liquor noted by some highly esteemed pipers. I got a slight licorice scent from the pouch, a faint licorice topping that quickly disappeared into a straight up nutty, earthy burley. Sitting on the front porch 4 blocks from the cob factory in a house built around the same time I get a real sense of what it might have been like back then. Hot, humid, no A/C, I can almost see the horse drawn carriages clopping down the street. Simpler times, good times, here's to you Grandpappy.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm back in the workshop again after taking my granddaughter to work and the Washington cob with a bowl of aged Haunted Bookshop along for the ride. It's great that you have your Grandfather's cobs, Corndog! The history lives on.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Noontime temperature was 94F, 108 heat index and I have added ice cubes to the kitty cat water bowl. This could be our first 100F day of the year. I'm back in the cool breeze of the window A/C until such time as the shade meets the back deck. The Landlord called and has a brand new central A/C unit on order, should arrive Wednesday, and will be installed ASAP. He offered up a second window unit for the back side of the house but I graciously declined as the son's sensory issues and the noise are not a good match. He's binge watching the Jurassic Park movies in anticipation for next week's premiere of the new Jurassic World.

I have a Twain loaded with Peacehaven and ready to go and a fresh batch of sun tea is chillin' in the fridge.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Noontime temperature was 94F, 108 heat index and I have added ice cubes to the kitty cat water bowl. This could be our first 100F day of the year. I'm back in the cool breeze of the window A/C until such time as the shade meets the back deck. The Landlord called and has a brand new central A/C unit on order, should arrive Wednesday, and will be installed ASAP.
    And you'll need it with those temperatures, fer sure! It'll be up to 92 here tomorrow, so I'll get the a/c on early and the ice cube trays filled.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 06-16-2018 at 20:22.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

The window A/C is trying hard, but the temps have creeped up a little. 78 inside the living room, where as yesterday it didn't go above 76. So as not to heat up the kitchen the wife went out for KFC. So now I'm going to have a big bowl of KCF in a Freehand and I'll probably sneak inside with it.

How's that go, when it rains it pours. As I was washing up for dinner I noticed the sink drain was gurgling a little. Went downstairs and there's water coming up through the drain in the basement floor. This happened before when the neighbors downstairs dishwasher backed up. They just got a new dishwasher about a week ago. Coincidence? I dunno but I do know they'll be swimming before we will. We may be hotter two floors up but they'll be wetter.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Tastes of an English Summer.
    St. Bernard in a cob & piccalilli in everything else!

image.jpg

Oh! And Cider, lots of Cider!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Good Evening, Cobbers! Still hot here and we've had the a/c running since mid-morning, so it's nice 'n cool in the house. Wrapping up the pipe day with a pre-dinner bowl of aged Haunted Bookshop in the Washington cob, cooled-off coffee on the side.
    Russ