Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craft Briar-Julius Vesz

Real Name
    Dave

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Craft Briar-Julius Vesz

Interestingly, we just had a post that mentioned Julius Vesz. I was just browsing ebay and saw this Craft Briar pipe with a $40 BIN. If you look on pipephil, it states,

According to Michael Lindner, "Craft Briar" was an early label used by Julius Vesz.
    Now, a while back I was helping an ebay seller who had a Craft pipe listed, and emailed Julius Vesz about this, his son, who handles correspondence confirmed this. At the time he also wanted to see a link to the auction. I should send another link to this pipe. Dimensions, from the seller, approx. 5.5" long with a bowl diameter of 1.25" the bowl stands 1.75" tall. Looking at the last picture, THAT is a hand cut stem. The 76, as I recall, means 1976.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That looks a certain steal.

(Perhaps before he discovered Dead dead root?)

Real Name
    Dave

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    That looks a certain steal.

(Perhaps before he discovered Dead dead root?)
    The reference from the pipedia article,

He maintains a supply of centuries-old briar that has been accumulated since the 1960s. Julius is renowned for using "dead root" briar. This briar root is said to have died and remained untouched for hundreds of years before it was dug out of the ground, enabling it to dry and age naturally. The alleged benefit of pipes created from this material is a cooler, smoother smoking experience.
    I also just sent an email to Julius Vesz about the pipe. Also, see here,

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...k-Hotel-Carver

Real Name
    Dave

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

From Rob Vesz, Julius' son,

Thanks for photos... I will show my father when I see him next. That pipe is about 50 years old. My father stopped using the Craft branding stamp around the mid 1960's.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm not as familiar with his pipes as I likely should be considering he's located about 80 km from where I live. I've been to his tiny Royal York store great little shop. His pipes run at the very top end of prices new (I couldn't afford one) so this is a certain steal for someone.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Astrid

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Awesome.!!!!

Pipe smoker since
    Too long to remember when I started

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Dave I bought a Craft Briar and wrote Julius about it. I wrote up the the restoration on the blog if you want a bit of detail and his son's response.

http://rebornpipes.com/2013/12/30/re...briar-volcano/
    Why Worry! I am an old man, and have had many troubles, but most of 'em never happened.

Click on the graphic to read my refurbishing blog - rebornpipes

Pipe smoker since

Here is our correspondence should you wish read it here instead of on the blog:

Good evening Mr. Vesz
    I came across a pipe that I believe came from your shop if my research is correct. It is stamped Craft Briar and 3B6 and has a white o on the triangular stem. I was wondering if you could confirm that it is indeed one of your pipes. I have several of yours and thoroughly enjoy them and was caught by the “o” logo on the stem and the great shape of this one. Thank you for your time.
    Kind regards
    Steve Laug

On Dec 30, 2013 Rob Vesz wrote:

Hello Steve
    This is Rob Vesz, Julius’ son replying. I take care of my father’s email and website. Thanks for your message and kind words.

Yes, Craft is the name Julius stamped on his very early pipes. It is in fact still the name of his company, but he operates under “Julius Vesz”. That pipe would be around 50 years old. My father stopped stamping Craft around the mid 1960’s.

It would be interesting to see a photo if you don’t mind emailing one.

Thanks again.

Rob Vesz

There is was – the web confirmation was confirmed by Rob Vesz that the pipe was indeed crafted by Julius Vesz and gave a date when the stamping on the pipes changed from Craft Briar in the mid 1960’s. I wrote back to Rob and sent the requested photos of the pipe and asked for clarification on the number stamp on the shank of the pipe. I wondered if it was not a date stamp. Below is that correspondence.

On Dec 30, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Steve Laug wrote:

Hi Rob
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate the information. I am in the process of restoring the pipe now. Soon I will write it up for the rebornpipes blog – a blog I run for refurbishing of pipes.

I have attached three photos of the pipe. It is in pretty good shape other than some deep bite marks on the stem, top and bottom near the button.

One more question – can you interpret the stamping for me? The number on it is 386 – does that give me date information?
    Thanks
    Steve

On Dec 30, 2013 Rob Vesz wrote:

Steve
    The 386 should be a style # that my father used. Will speak to him to see if he has any further thoughts on that.

Rob

Hello Steve. Happy New Year!

I spoke to my father and have some more information for you. The “386” represents two things. The “3” is the price category. At that time Julius had 1 through 6 for pricing. Your pipe would have been in the middle. The “86” represents the style. I asked my father about the style associated with that number WITHOUT showing him the photos. He was able to describe it in detail, triangular shank/stem and all. He hasn’t made an “86” in a long time. It was his own custom shape. It looks somewhat like “poker” to me. Also, some other interesting bits of trivia- typically the “3” would would have been within a circle (ie- his pipes have been known as Circle 3’s, Circle 4’s etc., and continue to be known as such based on price). Your pipe is very old. Julius only made 200-300 “Craft” stamped pipes. Those that didn’t have circle around price number are even fewer and older. For awhile he didn’t have a circular stamp and that’s where yours fits in. So, you have a real gem and rarity! It looks great in the pictures. My father doesn’t use a computer, so next time I see him I’ll be sure to show him on my iPhone or iPad. He will enjoy seeing it and be glad that it’s in the hands of someone who appreciates it!

Hope this information had been helpful.

Sincerely,
    Rob Vesz
    Why Worry! I am an old man, and have had many troubles, but most of 'em never happened.

Pipe smoker since

Since Vesz stopped stamping Craft Briar in the 60s the 76 number on the shank bottom is actually the shape number not the year it was made

Real Name
    Dave

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Steve that is all great information! Now going over to read the full blog post.

edit: Steve terrific post. I was laughing about the part of the story when you bought the pipe! Beautiful pipe, a very unique and creative take on the poker. The triangular shank and stem is really nice. It's amazing how Julius could remember the exact style by the shape number many years later! I get the feeling I will be hearing back from Rob. I love hearing the history, particulary about such a talented pipe maker. People, read Steve's blog post for "the rest of the story"!
    Last edited by dmcmtk; 10-07-2014 at 07:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast