Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dirk Claessen 1/4 Bent Smooth Straight Grain Danish Apple Shape

Real Name
    Dave

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Thanks for that Dave but I thought they used a machine press to stamp the pipes, the nomenclature must be quite faded doing that way?
    I've seen everything from hand stamping, to using a press, to laser engraving. Claessen's marks, at least 7~8 years ago were very simple, the pipe in the OP is marked DC 5 09, they're still sharp. For some cool marking, watch Viprati around the 5m50sec time.

Real Name
    Dave

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The thoughts I had coming away from watching the videos, again, was how much craft goes into making a pipe. The eye, hand movements, practice, and experience. My thinking also was, that even though we think of certain brands as "factory" pipes, the employees there had to have many of the same skills. There weren't any computer aided robotics!

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    The thoughts I had coming away from watching the videos, again, was how much craft goes into making a pipe. The eye, hand movements, practice, and experience. My thinking also was, that even though we think of certain brands as "factory" pipes, the employees there had to have many of the same skills. There weren't any computer aided robotics!
    True Dave, I had my eye on a L'Anatra pipe from Al Pacia but the buggers been sold, a six sided jobbie!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123