Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on falcon pipes

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Estate Pipe Shop View Post
    Honestly, I hate the god awful things, in fact when they are mixed in with a job lot pipe purchase, they are the first thing to go in the trash, sorry if this offends anyone......
    Why would your honest opinion offend anybody? It's not like we designed them ourselves! I'd be offended if you said you loved 'em when you didn't.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I really like them myself. I still like my briars, too, but I can take my Falcons everywhere (both went on vacation with me, as did some briars, but I didn't smoke the briars on the beach). I can smoke the heck out of them without getting a wet heel, and I can keep them squeaky clean. I can also smoke things like BBF or Navy Flake at higher moisture levels (I think they taste better that way) and not have to deal with a gurgle.

By the way, among my bowls I have one I bought brand new, one that looked like it had been smoked less than 6 times, and two estate bowls I haven't had any trouble breaking my new one or the lightly used one in. The estate Dublin bowl had a bit of a ghost, but it's fading, and the Algiers bowl was a mess before I stripped it. I just need some stain or dye and wax to put on it, and I'm sure it will be fine, though.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

Honestly, I hate the god awful things, in fact when they are mixed in with a job lot pipe purchase, they are the first thing to go in the trash, sorry if this offends anyone......
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. It does not offend, but they work for some people and you could probably get something for them or trade them off. I hate to see pipes or tobacco in the trash.

I do know they are not universally loved. A guy on another forum asked if I liked Falcons after some post I made. I said I did, and he said he had one he had just never liked and offered to trade it for a tin of tobacco he wanted to try. That is where I got my second one.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Michael Epson
    Pipe smoker since
    20 years, sporadically, <1 year seriously.

I've only had mine for about two weeks, but I really like it. It's got the meerschaum lined bowl. Does a good job of cooling (moderately) some smokes that I'd had some tongue bite issues with, before. If i buy, or make my own, damp rings, I can smoke some pretty wet stuff, and not get gurgling. Cleaning-wise, it seems pretty straight forward, but then I rarely use it without a damp ring. They make cleaning a bit quicker and easier. I also spend time cleaning all of my pipes, at least a quick pipe cleaner, after a smoke. So upkeep doesn't seem out of my norm. It's something a bit different, which for me, just makes it fun. My two cents.
    "I drank WHAT !?!" Socates

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

In Australia in the 70's the falcon pipe was to most blokes what a cob is to an American. They're a tough no-nonsense work horse type of pipe. Sure, they won't win a beauty contest but they deliver the goods in a reliable honest way.

Real Name
    Dallas
    Pipe smoker since

I've 2 Falcons and 3 bowls -- I particularly like them in questionable situations, such as the garage, or camping - they're almost indestructible!
    Cheers, Dallas

I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs - Albert Einstein

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm afraid I wouldn't want one as a gift!

Real Name
    Jimmy

I like them. Easy to maintain and requres little more than swabbing out the underside of the bowl and humidome with non-lint tissue paper and blowing through the stem.

That said they will never be an exclusive smoke for me. There is not a chance I would be content just smoking falcons all the time.

A no-nonsense pipe. Ugly, virtually indestructable and does it's job.

/Jimmy

Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've always had one as find them good for working in the 'shop with dirty hands when you can hold them by the stem or fishing etc. when you carry only one pipe and can clean it out with a dock leaf or whatever.
    Not struck on the looks but the smoking's OK.

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I don't own one never smoked one without trying to insult anyone here are my thoughts on these pipes.

Attachment 17477
    Same here... and gotta agree with you, Bill.
    With kind regards, Bo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast