Thread: Falcon bits too narrow

Registered Member
    Real Name
    GW Bill Miller
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Falcon bits too narrow

I have 4 Falcon metal pipes and quite like them. They are estates I picked up on ebay for a decent price. The material the bit is made of is soft enough that it has mashed together enough that I can't get a pipe cleaner through 3 of them and it is not wide enough to survive drilling. One is OK. Is there a way to open it up or replace just the rubber bit? I like them because they are light and easy to clench in my teeth. They came with a bit of cake and are cool smoking but hard to clean because I can't run a pipe cleaner through them. I have been rotating the other bowls on the one good stem but would like to salvage the rest. Any suggestions? Also I would like to find a dental bit for them. Not the whole stem, just the rubber bit. Is it possible to find that? Thanks

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I think there are folks who have replaced the bit in a Falcon, but the original bit is pressed into the tube and removing it risks damage. I have opened up one or two of mine by inserting a pipe knife in the very end and jimmying it around a little, making it a little easier to pass a cleaner. Naturally, I have to use straight pipe cleaners rather than tapered ones, and I keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol handy. Dipping a fresh cleaner into the alcohol both makes it easier to insert in the pipe and cleans the tube more thoroughly.

If you have estate Falcons, I find that some of the older US made models (above) have a particularly thin bit compared to the modern UK made frames (below):

Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I think you can buy replacement mouthpieces... maybe your local tobacco store can order some?

I "opened" the narrow slid of one of my pipes using a key file... you can buy them on eBay. They come as a set with various file types... use the flat one. Insert it into the mouthpiece and file gently, making sure to remove equal amount of material on the upper and lower part of the slid.
    With kind regards, Bo

Registered Member
    Real Name
    GW Bill Miller
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you Herb. The photos are very helpful. Clearly mine are all the smaller size. I will try the alcohol dipped cleaner and see if that helps. If I get desperate I might try to drill them out slightly but I am nervous about that.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by tulsagentleman View Post
    Thank you Herb. The photos are very helpful. Clearly mine are all the smaller size. I will try the alcohol dipped cleaner and see if that helps. If I get desperate I might try to drill them out slightly but I am nervous about that.
    I would go with Bo's advice and try some needle files first. You can pick them up pretty cheap at a hardware store or better yet, Harbor Freight if you have one of them nearby. Falcon stems are so thin I'd be afraid to try and drill them.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

I've used a Kemper zig-zag saw to open up narrow slots and it works fantastically. It leaves the surface a little rough. So, you'll still want the needle files to smooth them out.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    GW Bill Miller
    Pipe smoker since

That sounds good. I found one on ebay for $5 and have ordered it. It will be a good tool to have. Thanks.