Thread: Bending A Falcon Bit, Can It Be Done?

Hybrid View

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Bending A Falcon Bit, Can It Be Done?

So this week I got a bent Falcon and the bit is not bent enough for me, i like my bowls horizontal when I clench, it may just be my bite but the bowl sits up in the air causing the fluid to run into the airway tube. I'm wondering if the bit could be heated and bent a bit further so it's more horizontal when clenched, I have bent vulcanite and acrylic but the Falcon stems are made of a different plastic, anyone ever done this?

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good question. The bits are made of nylon, if that helps, but I've never tried bending them.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Pipe smoker since
    Too long to remember when I started

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It is nylon. I bent one with hot water rather than my normal heat gun. Too easy to melt one make a mess. I heated the water then dipped the the stem in to heat it. When it was pliable I bent it over a round spice jar and then cooled it with cool water to set it. Worked for me.
    Why Worry! I am an old man, and have had many troubles, but most of 'em never happened.

Click on the graphic to read my refurbishing blog - rebornpipes

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Laug View Post
    It is nylon. I bent one with hot water rather than my normal heat gun. Too easy to melt one make a mess. I heated the water then dipped the the stem in to heat it. When it was pliable I bent it over a round spice jar and then cooled it with cool water to set it. Worked for me.
    Interesting, I tried boiling water with no effect, maybe I didn't wait long enough or it wasn't hot enough.

Pipe smoker since
    Too long to remember when I started

Quote Originally Posted by Briar Boy View Post
    Interesting, I tried boiling water with no effect, maybe I didn't wait long enough or it wasn't hot enough.
    I had to repeat the process a few times - don't remember how many but I remember boiling the water in the microwave several times. I boiled and let the stem sit in it and repeated until the nylon became pliable...took a bit but it did work.
    Why Worry! I am an old man, and have had many troubles, but most of 'em never happened.

Click on the graphic to read my refurbishing blog - rebornpipes

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I once did the "favour" of bending a Falcon mouthpiece for a friend of mine... heated it up with the flame from a lighter like I normally do with vulcanite stems, making sure to move the flame all the time in order to not melt the mouthpiece. Well.... it went all wrong. The mouthpiece melted!

So I can definately NOT recommend heating up a Falcon mouthpiece with a flame!
    With kind regards, Bo

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I decided to go a different route rather than risk damaging the mouthpiece, rather than increasing the bend of the mouthpiece I slightly reduced the bend in the aluminum shank with success, thanks for the help guys.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. Glad it worked out!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.