Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Metal Smoke as Well as a Falcon?

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lestrout View Post
    In the past, I never seriously considered metal of any sort for pipstering. Then I was offered a trial bowl of EMP at the Chicago Show by the Kirsten folks (including the inventor's great-grand-daughter). WOW! In over 50 years of doing EMP, including aged versions of Murray, pre-Murray, Dunhill store, etc., that was absolutely the best EMP bowl I had ever experienced. I always knew the blend had subtle complexities, but frankly viewed EMP as a palate cleanser, clearing the way for more serious destination blends of VAs and Lats. Kind of the way I use bread and water prior to a serious wine tasting.

I demanded immediate procural of the demo Kirsten and am now running the 280 blends of my Top200 Cellar through the thing, seeing if the flavor explosions I got from that EMP also manifest themselves with other compositions. Tough job, but someone has to do it. Funny thing - now I'm pondering getting a Falcon (apparently started in the US after the Kirsten introduction) - and at the last IPSD event, when my turn came to select a prize after winning a raffle, I spurned a nice bent Falcon set for a tin of Erinmore.

hp
    les
    I've never owned a Kirsten (though like you and the Falcon, I could kick myself for passing on one I should have grabbed), but I do thoroughly enjoy my Falcons. I don't know that they bring out different flavors than traditional briar pipes, but they're certainly a great smoke. I appreciate their ability to handle wet, traditional British flakes without having to dry them for two hours, so I can get that sweet Virginia flavor without gurgles.

Incidentally, in the interest of civic pride, I must quibble about the assertion that Kirsten came first.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Chris

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

H. Weibe radiators are amazing little pieces of work, but I'd suggest getting a volcano or brandy instead of the stack. The stack gets pretty warm.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I tried the Dr. Grabow Vikings and they, in my opinion, did not smoke as well as a Falcon. My favorite falcon bowl is my meer.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

I find the Falcon bent much more comfortable to clench than the straight. I also have an Alco I bought 40 years ago with a vulcanite stem which is easier to clench compared to the slippery acrylic. Although I find it doesn't smoke as well as the Falcon.

Real Name
    Nigel
    Pipe smoker since
    approx 20 years

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I find the Falcon bent much more comfortable to clench than the straight.
    Agreed, I have seven Falcons but only one of those is a bent and it is the one that gets the most use.
    Regards,

Nigel

Real Name
    Joe
    Pipe smoker since
    7th year

My top notch metal smoker is a Kirsten. Performs like crazy...this thing could almost smoke itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12