Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Waxing Cheating?

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Is Waxing Cheating?

My SMS eagle claw has been a good friend for lo these 10 years or so and is coloring slowly but nicely. I have never waxed it. I want to feel like whatever color it has acquired was come by honestly and not achieved in some ersatz manner. I don't buy stone washed, pre-torn jeans. I don't buy new guitars that have had the holy hell beaten out of them so they look like old guitars. Authenticity is important to me.

So is waxing cheating? I don't think my pipe needs it-- it looks fine and is basically smooth and shiny where it's supposed to be. But I'd hate to be such a stickler that I miss out on having an even prettier pipe than I already do.

Here's the pipe in question:

Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

First ...that is one wonderful looking pipe, second if it ain't broke don't fix it. Colourless waxing is necessary from time to used to protect the pipe from moisture which is deadly to meerschaum. I have yet to wax any of mine. Coloured waxing is cheating and looks like s..t. I know I have a pirate face pipe I bought which the maker had pre-waxed with a yellow tint.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Pipe smoker since

As I understand it, Bill, it is only the wax that causes a meerschaum to colour.The pipe, when made, was immersed in wax to achieve that objective, so re-waxing it is only replacing the original process where it's worn or dried out. Re-waxing will certainly make it show more colour.
    Talking only about pure wax here, not artificial colouring.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Jim are you suggesting an unwaxed pipe won't turn colour? I would respectfully diagree with that.

Pipe smoker since

I'm saying that I believe they are all waxed when they are made, Bill. Later re-waxing is optional.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    I'm saying that I believe they are all waxed when they are made, Bill. Later re-waxing is optional.
    Oh yes Jim I agree with you. I bought a "white" pirate face from a maker in Turkey and when it arrived it had been waxed with 'yellow' tint. I wasn't too happy but since it took so long to arrive I didn't return it. Although I e-mailed him and he apologized and told me I should have told him to wax it clear. Live and learn.

Pipe smoker since
    Current stint 2012 - Present. First stint 1993 - 1996

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Oh yes Jim I agree with you. I bought a "white" pirate face from a maker in Turkey and when it arrived it had been waxed with 'yellow' tint. I wasn't too happy but since it took so long to arrive I didn't return it. Although I e-mailed him and he apologized and told me I should have told him to wax it clear. Live and learn.
    I bought my S. Yanik figural meer fully knowing that it was waxed yellow... I just had no idea how horrendous the cololur would be in real life. I keep hoping that the wax will wane as I smoke the pipe.

Bill, is there any way to cheat the process here? Can we bake the wax off/into the meer at low temperatures in an oven?

I love the carving, I hate the buttery-like-topping colour of the wax.

As for the original post, I would only re-wax if you felt like there was a chance that you were leaving oils and crud on the meer when smoking. I think it will colour up wonderfully without a reapplication of wax.

-- Pat

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Waxing with pure, white beeswax isn't cheating. Waxing with the colored stuff can be depending on your opinion. The pure wax won't color the meer, but it will bring out the coloration that is already there. Here's an example of an antique meer before and after an uncolored beeswax application:

In any case, aside from the cosmetic benefits, it's a good idea to do from time to time just to protect the meer. Let me know if you decide to do it, Billy, and I'll send you some uncolored beeswax.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    That's some good information. I never would have guessed that that could be an issue, or that an option was possible. Thanks.

Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

How do you feel about using Butera Coloring bowls?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast