Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Waxing Cheating?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyk67 View Post
    How do you feel about using Butera Coloring bowls?
    Now, this is just me, but I don't see the point. If you want your meer to color, then just smoke it. What's the rush? I think half the magic is in the fact that it's a slow process. Every change is color value is like a record in a journal. Ever see one of those old meers that's been smoked so much that it's that rich, dark chocolate color and thought, "Wow! I bet that pipe has some stories"? I don't think it's the color itself that is special but rather the story that the color tells.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Well said Anthony.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I vote for pipes and woman waxing.
    ​Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Let me know if you decide to do it, Billy, and I'll send you some uncolored beeswax.
    Very good of you, Anthony. If I do I will!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Andrew

I don't think it's cheating. You're simply helping the already present colors migrate to the surface. I would love to see pics if you wax it though ;)
    Cuando tenemos todas las respuestas, cambian las preguntas

部に参加

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Motoyoshi View Post
    I don't think it's cheating. You're simply helping the already present colors migrate to the surface. I would love to see pics if you wax it though ;)
    I think I agree, Andrew, but I'm scared. Is there a chance that waxing this lovely thing will turn it blotchy in some way? In would hate to ruin what is a very special pipe by getting obsessive about its coloring, but I don't have enough experience to assess the risk/reward ratio. I'm leaning toward just smoking it more and letting nature take its course.
    Billy
    --------

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPM View Post
    I think I agree, Andrew, but I'm scared. Is there a chance that waxing this lovely thing will turn it blotchy in some way? In would hate to ruin what is a very special pipe by getting obsessive about its coloring, but I don't have enough experience to assess the risk/reward ratio. I'm leaning toward just smoking it more and letting nature take its course.
    I understand that feeling. I have an Altinay billiard that I bought as an estate. It has some dings and scratches in it so it's already a real looker
    So I was a little bolder than I thought I would be when I tried to wax mine. The pipe has a plastic band inside the mortise so I didn't want to heat the pipe up in an oven and risk melting that. So I subscribed to the melt some beeswax onto a paper towel and use said paper towel to hold the heated bowl while smoking.

It worked decently enough but I did have some areas with more left over wax than others. It could have been that the paper towels I used had some deep nooks and crannies (the extra absorbent type?). Needless to say I don't think I would try it on my IMP that I just picked up recently. An acquaintance has made beeswax chapstick holders to simply apply while smoking. I think that would work way better than my paper towel experiment.

I understand you wanting to play it safe and preserve the current cherished state of your pipe though.
    Cuando tenemos todas las respuestas, cambian las preguntas

部に参加

Real Name
    Bo Bernhardt
    Pipe smoker since

Meers are waxed from start on... so applying some extra wax isn't cheating imho.
    With kind regards, Bo

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

Just something I need to get off my chest, after looking at Meers these past few day's why on earth do the use coloured wax and not natural wax on so many of them now, surely you want to colour it yourself, get's on my paps this!!!!!!!!! Rant over.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Just something I need to get off my chest, after looking at Meers these past few day's why on earth do the use coloured wax and not natural wax on so many of them now, surely you want to colour it yourself, get's on my paps this!!!!!!!!! Rant over.
    The same reason folks buy distressed jeans with holes in them, or pre-worn guitars that look like they are 50 years old. Everybody wants to LOOK like they have old treasured possessions but nobody wants to put in the time to get them. It's neurotic in my opinion.

Every ding and dent and worn spot in my guitars was put there by ME and by honest use over the years. And while my meerschaums aren't colored as well as some I've seen, I didn't BUY the color. I smoked it in. Poseurs are everywhere-- but not at my house. i value authenticity over fashion.
    Billy
    --------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast