Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagle Claw After Waxing

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Billy said
    I bet if I sanded it down and polished it up I could get it white as new in a few days.
    I know so little about meers that I can't tell if you are joking, but I'm going to start to work shortly cleaning up a meer and had considered doing this with a very light hand on the sanding. Is this indeed a recommended process?

My meer appears to be Turkish, perhaps block, with very slight coloring that looks like it could also be dirt, with dings and scratches but certainly presentable for a white object. I do intend to sand out what I take to be tobacco stain in the chamber, which is uniformly very dark, and from which I removed a significant amount of cake.

Given the smell of the chamber, the previous owner seems to have been an aro smoker who also used an upper incisor to clench the pipe. The stem is otherwise too loose but serviceable.
    Last edited by saltedplug; 12-04-2015 at 22:44.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by 4nogginsmike View Post
    Billy said

I know so little about meers that I can't tell if you are joking, but I'm going to start to work shortly cleaning up a meer and had considered doing this with a very light hand on the sanding. Is this indeed a recommended process?

My meer appears to be Turkish, perhaps block, with very slight coloring that looks like it could also be dirt, with dings and scratches but certainly presentable for a white object. I do intend to sand out what I take to be tobacco stain in the chamber, which is uniformly very dark, and from which I removed a significant amount of cake.

Given the smell of the chamber, the previous owner seems to have been an aro smoker who also used an upper incisor to clench the pipe. The stem is otherwise too loose but serviceable.
    I can't say that sanding a meer is a recommended process, necessarily, but it can certainly be done. I'd recommend that you wet sand with no lower than 400-grit paper. Meerschaum is softer than many people expect. The darkening in the chamber is normal and to be expected. Personally, I wouldn't worry about taking it back to the white, since you'll be hitting good meer long before then. I'd just sand it smooth and even to the touch to make sure all of the cake was removed.

Is the stem a push-fit or a screw-in? It may tighten up after a few smokes. If not, the fittings are probably replaceable.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12