Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Do You Collect Pipes, Why and What?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JustScott View Post
    The only thing I 'collect' is old Petersons. Looking for various attribute combinations of pre-war army mount 301,307,308,309,312,313,314,317,02 and 03. Mainly working on upgrades for pre-wwii smooth silver mounts and a few sandblasts that aren't too great. And any unsmoked pre-1963 Peterson that looks nice. I also buy pre-wwii Dunhills in rough condition, to restore. Mostly they are just piling up on my work table, so I have no idea if I will 'collect' them once they are repaired. Finally, I have some carved figurals, but as long as the carving is really nice, I haven't been too particular about the subject.
    Do you collect to smoke or to sell? Come to think of it, that would be a good title for another thread.
    Last edited by Scottishgaucho; 03-29-2021 at 23:24.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Do you collect to smoke or to sell? Come to think of it, that would be a good title for another thread.
    I only acquire pipes that fit my collecting habits, then keep (and smoke) about 1/3 of them. If I end up with a pipe that's a duplicate, or very close, I'll generally sell it.

The only 'pure collection' pipes I have are rare unsmoked pipes. I will probably end up selling all of them, only because I hate to own something that isn't going to get to fulfill its intended purpose...but they will be the last to go. An example is a late '40s/early '50s Peterson Straight Grain with a bone chimney - the bone will go from white to brown almost immediately, so it's a big decision to begin smoking it.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JustScott View Post
    I only acquire pipes that fit my collecting habits, then keep (and smoke) about 1/3 of them. If I end up with a pipe that's a duplicate, or very close, I'll generally sell it.

The only 'pure collection' pipes I have are rare unsmoked pipes. I will probably end up selling all of them, only because I hate to own something that isn't going to get to fulfill its intended purpose...but they will be the last to go. An example is a late '40s/early '50s Peterson Straight Grain with a bone chimney - the bone will go from white to brown almost immediately, so it's a big decision to begin smoking it.
    Thanks Scott.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567