Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Do You Collect Pipes, Why and What?

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I love the WDC Wellingtons...I have like 3 of the large ones and one small capped one, all found on Ebay. I have a couple of Missouri Meerschaums that smoke quite well. Picked up a collection of estate pipes from Ebay, but they are not any name brand pipes, I got them mostly to practice restoring them.

The biggest collection I have I got by being in the right place at the right time. Was at a biker event and was smoking my pipe. I guy walked by and said that it is rare to see someone smoking a pipe nowadays. We started talking and he said that he had a collection of pipes and stands that he got from his uncle and as he doesn't smoke pipes, and doesn't want to spend the time of trying to sell them on Ebay or Craigslist, would I like to see them?

We went out to his car, and in the trunk were about 60 or so pipes and 4 stands. Two of the stands were 24 pipe count, one was a round 12 with the glass humidor, and one was a ceramic 4 pipe holder. The pipes (I didn't know it at the time) were mostly Dr. Grabow's painted pipes, Whitehall pipes, and a few Viking pipes with the odd one or two other makes thrown in. He wanted $60.00 for the lot, and I gladly paid him. One of the 24 pipe stands alone was worth that much.

The pipes are currently awaiting cleaning...Many didn't appear to have been smoked, or at least were smoked very lightly. Time will tell how they turn out.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmetSaint View Post
    Some of my collection in the cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    What a great looking cabinet, lovely to see!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    My names Ally and I collect pipes for smoking, for the life of me I can't understand collecting pipes and not smoking them though, Hell that's what there made for, a smoking pipe's a happy pipe as far as I'm concerend.
    I agree with you Ally however if others like to buy them to display and look at then that's okay by me.

My number of pipes has risen from a few to around a dozen...if anything it might even be less than that. To be honest I can't see that number rising by much over the coming years unless I happen to find an estate pipe I really like the look of and it comes cheap...which doesn't often happen here. I only buy to smoke them so if they turn out to be duds then I haven't wasted much money.

So no, I'm not a collector.

Pipe smoker since

I am not a collector, more a consumer. I say I have a stock not a collection. When I buy a pipe - and that is often-it is because I want to smoke it. But it has grown over my head - and I do not know what the madam should do with them when I have put my wooden shoes away for the last time. More than 400 unsmoked and the smoked over about 50 years.
    Not many on display - do not like to show how silly I am.

Pipe smoker since

Maybe I should add that I spend more time looking for what Russ and Crawford are doing than looking on my pipes.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Jensen View Post
    Maybe I should add that I spend more time looking for what Russ and Crawford are doing than looking on my pipes.
    Just don't peek in the windows, Jorgen.
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.

I collect 3.5"~4" pipes, any pipe which I buy or get for me means a special value and enjoyment. I like 3.5"~4" pipes, I enjoy in smoking them.

Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I pick them up here and there when I can find them reasonable.

My Pipes

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Very nice collection. I see that you're a meet fan!
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.

Real Name
    Scott
    Pipe smoker since
    1980's

The only thing I 'collect' is old Petersons. Looking for various attribute combinations of pre-war army mount 301,307,308,309,312,313,314,317,02 and 03. Mainly working on upgrades for pre-wwii smooth silver mounts and a few sandblasts that aren't too great. And any unsmoked pre-1963 Peterson that looks nice. I also buy pre-wwii Dunhills in rough condition, to restore. Mostly they are just piling up on my work table, so I have no idea if I will 'collect' them once they are repaired. Finally, I have some carved figurals, but as long as the carving is really nice, I haven't been too particular about the subject.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast