Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first old Meer. And what a beauty it is!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Then the pipe is home at last.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Dean
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Just smoked it for the first time with HU Director's Cut. Dean must have waxed it because it feels sticky when warm. The button is so round that you can't clench the stem between your teeth, which is probably a good thing for a meer with a military mount of this age. It smoked as wet as a briar, and tasted like a briar. This is going to be a pipe for special occasions.
    Mark

Light application of beeswax, while it is warm give it a wipe down with a soft cloth & it will not be sticky, also from time to time apply a coat of beeswax to the bowl when cold & as said wipe it when it gets warm, helps protect & keeps the patina nice

Restored Estate & New Smoking Pipes

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Mark, I missed this thread the other day, but I'm glad I saw it, because your meer immediately reminded me of my great-grandfather's, which I have in my own collection. I would also strongly suspect that yours is an early 20th century design based on the resemblance.

By the way, is there anything that is not on the Internet? Here's a photo I found of my great grandfather, Francis L. Dye, which appeared in a commemorative tome published shortly after World War I to honor the veterans of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. My mother has an original copy of the book. My great-grandfather later moved to Marquette, near my own birthplace.

I noticed a couple of little pinholes around the rim of your meer as I browsed the photos. I was wondering if they looked like these...

I've been told (by my tobacconist, not my family) that meerschaum pipes often had additional decorative silver or gold work around the rims which sometimes came loose and got lost. I could believe that about my own pipe, as there are only two nail holes that would have attached it, and great-grandfather seemed to have smoked this pipe frequently based on the coloration and charring inside the bowl. It appears that he had a shank repair done at some point, too, so I don't know if the band is original or a replacement.

Anyway, I love your pipe, and hope some of this information proves useful to you in determining its provenance.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hi Herb
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. I think things like a pipe inherited from grandparents and great grandparents would be something to treasure. I have a couple of bits of jewellery from my parents, but that's all because most of my relatives died in Poland during the Holocaust. And there is no written record of their lives.

I don't have pin holes in my meer, and what you see in the photos are minor surface scratches. The pipe is in extremely good condition and the only argument for smoking it like any other pipe is that I am fumble-fingered and drop things. The holes in your meer may indeed be for silver or gold ornaments. One possibility is for a windshield, but I'm sure there are others.

Best wishes
    Mark

Beautiful Meer! I have a couple of them myself and I would love to smoke and color them but the draw on them (all of them) is horrible. I need to find a Meer that works for me as I love how they color as you smoke them.

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

This one has a good draw, and is unproblematical to smoke. The military mount is great compared to the newer meer which has a screw type Teflon push tenon.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    Beautiful Meer! I have a couple of them myself and I would love to smoke and color them but the draw on them (all of them) is horrible. I need to find a Meer that works for me as I love how they color as you smoke them.
    A pipe repair guy can open up the draw for you. Night Hawk pipes in Nashville did one for me. But I think he's retired now and I have no one else to refer you to.

Real Name
    Dave

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    A pipe repair guy can open up the draw for you. Night Hawk pipes in Nashville did one for me. But I think he's retired now and I have no one else to refer you to.
    NightOwl PipeWorks, and yes, Ronni is retired.

These are Nighthawks (just having a little fun here Bill, if you will indulge me),
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I believe that picture was his masthead Dave ......if I'm not mistaken. He did a great job on my Grandad's meer re-stemming and opening the draw on my meer pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I might look into that, would rather leave it in the hands of a professional than poke around with it myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12