Thread: My city may hate good cheap cigars...maybe?

Real Name
    Tom Smitty
    Pipe smoker since
    Jan 2016

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My city may hate good cheap cigars...maybe?

This is for Houston based members (but would love to see if other areas can relate?)

After receiving a Vegas 5 Gold as a good recomendation for a good inexpensive smoke. I thought I would definitely add this stick to my list of buys, but on further reflection I concluded that my B&M and most shops down here (Houston, TX) don't carry a lot of the reasonable priced sticks like Vegas 5 Gold and other sticks that members have recommended to me.

Just what I'm noticing, which is why I'm either feast or famine on reasonably priced good smokes, but also why I'm smoking lesser quality. So I starting to understand the draw of C bid and other online sources for a more diverse selection as well as prices.

Would love any feedback from Houston based botl or stories about others who had this issue.

Real Name
    Dave

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Tom, not a cigar smoker, but the one I know the best, buys all his cigars from online vendors, such as JR,

https://www.jrcigars.com/

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

If I can use pipe tobacco as the same premise we have two major tourist areas Downtown Toronto and Niagara Falls. Buy tobacco in either place and you are paying 30% more than in the burbs. But then sometimes I have to if I really want something. Choice locally is really becoming a problem for pipe smokers as well.

Edit: I should say I haven't smoked cigars in 16 years ....so I probably wouldn't know a good value brand
    Last edited by Brooklin Bill; 04-12-2016 at 21:24.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

For a state that proclaims to be conservative, I've always heard that Texas levies steep taxes on tobacco. Maybe you wind up paying so much tax on a cheap stick that they're not competitive. I don't smoke many cigars, but my buddy in California usually buys his on the daily package deals from cigarmonster.com.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

jarrod248

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    If I can use pipe tobacco as the same premise we have two major tourist areas Downtown Toronto and Niagara Falls. Buy tobacco in either place and you are paying 30% more than in the burbs. But then sometimes I have to if I really want something. Choice locally is really becoming a problem for pipe smokers as well.

Edit: I should say I haven't smoked cigars in 16 years ....so I probably wouldn't know a good value brand
    I thought we had in bad in the UK until I saw Canadian prices. Least it's easy for me to nip to Belgium, Spain or Luxembourg.