Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russ's Monthly Blends halting? What happened

Real Name
    Schwartz
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Russ's Monthly Blends halting? What happened

I was on PipesandCigars website today and say this "Every month, Russ Ouellette, PipesandCigars.com's Master Blender, creates a new blend that will be available for a limited time. It might be an aromatic, non-aromatic, Virginia, Latakia or Burley-based blend, but each will be different. Give each one a try, but if you find one you like, stock up, because they won't be around forever.

The time has finally come. Due to certain regulations that are going to hit the tobacco industry, these blends are being discontinued. Stock up while you can, because these blends are going to be missed when they go away
    ."

Ok. I've been waiting to start trying Russ's blends; now this. What "regulations" would stop them from being able to blend? What happened?

Real Name
    Dave

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

“the limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.” Frederick Douglass

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Yup. Russ said they have been advised to cease all in house production blends. It's not worth it for them to continue producing them. He also stated that they (P&C) are working on getting these recipes to their customers so that they can blend them at home. That's really cool of them!

Real Name
    Schwartz
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    Yup. Russ said they have been advised to cease all in house production blends. It's not worth it for them to continue producing them. He also stated that they (P&C) are working on getting these recipes to their customers so that they can blend them at home. That's really cool of them!
    That would be cool! very cool, just sorry to hear it!
    I am the culmination of my actions; nothing more, nothing less.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Er.. a moment of true terror here.... By "in-house production blends, do you mean... H&H and all p&c blends?

Real Name
    Dave

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeaward View Post
    Er.. a moment of true terror here.... By "in-house production blends, do you mean... H&H and all p&c blends?
    No, the Monthly Blends Russ makes.
    “the limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.” Frederick Douglass

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeaward View Post
    It's my understanding that all bulk blends that are then blended from the retailer will cease. You have to be licensed and the cost isn't worth it. For example, if your B&M tobacconist makes blends from Mclellend bulk or Lane Limited bulk (just examples) than they will be forced (financially) to stop unless they go out and get licensed and submit each blend to the FDA for review. That, sadly, will be unaffordable for most.
    Last edited by Hawky454; 07-01-2016 at 14:04.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It's my understanding that all bulk blends that are then blended from the retailer will cease. You have to be licensed and the cost isn't worth it. For example, if your B&M tobacconist makes blends from Mclellend bulk or Lane Limited bulk (just examples) than they will be forced (financially) to stop unless they go out and get licensed and submit each blend to the FDA for review. That, sadly, will be unaffordable for most.
    I know this may be how the new regs work, but it's patently ridiculous. My B&M has a card file going back to the dawn of time with different customers' custom mixes written down, and it's part of what keeps customers coming back. Now they could just put each of the component tobaccos in a seperate baggie for the customer to take home and mix together, and P&C could technically do the same thing, it seems. My point being that you're not really creating anything new when you do such a mixture, so why try and regulate that? It's just stupid!
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    I know this may be how the new regs work, but it's patently ridiculous. My B&M has a card file going back to the dawn of time with different customers' custom mixes written down, and it's part of what keeps customers coming back. Now they could just put each of the component tobaccos in a seperate baggie for the customer to take home and mix together, and P&C could technically do the same thing, it seems. My point being that you're not really creating anything new when you do such a mixture, so why try and regulate that? It's just stupid!
    Herb, I totally agree. It pisses me off.

Real Name
    Dave

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

All consumption of tobacco MUST BE BANNED! Does that help understand the regulatory thinking...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast