Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed Pipe Stem, Looking for Feedback

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

3D Printed Pipe Stem, Looking for Feedback

Hey guys, new to the forums. I got into smoking a pipe and 3D printing about a year ago and I have since decided to try and merge the two by 3D printing pipe stems.

I've come up with a few designs and I am working on more. But mainly I just want to get other peoples feedback on them. If people hate them, I want to know. If they can be improved I want to know. Depending of what people think I may eventually sell them.

I am looking to give away several of these pipe stems to some pipe lovers in return for legitimate and timely feedback. Thats it. I mail you one, you answer an email survey within the week (I know how some people will stash away their pipe stuff for a few years before getting around to it).

Here is the first stem, "The Double Helix"
    Each of the 4 stand alone tubes carries smoke to the mouth piece. And yes I know cleaning it via traditional pipe cleaner method will not work. Unfortunately thats just part of it.

pipe4.jpg
    pipe5.jpg

Here is the second stem, "The Gadsden" (or rattle snake if you prefer). A great stem for the 4th of July. Currently working on modifying the design slightly for cleaner fangs and better readability on the lettering on its back. But pictures of Version 1.0 gives you the idea.

pipe1.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    rattlesnake.JPG

Let me know if you are interested, depending on how many people are interested I may need to select people at random.

Pipe stems can easily be printed in any color of choice (i'd imagine most people will want black, white or cream).

Additionally if you've got a precise measuring tool like calipers then I can easily modify the stem to perfectly match the pipe you are wanting to use it with. Otherwise the navy bit style is always a universal option.

Let me know! I hope I get some takers on my offer!

***Edit- I forgot to mention that the stems are printed in ABS plastic***
    Last edited by Mo3dPrinting; 07-06-2016 at 07:17.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Do I like them , No!.... Sorry but far too outlandish for my taste.
    You say cleaning normally does not work, is that only in the EG's shown or would it work in a normal pipe stem?
    How safe is ABS Plastic, what are the long term effects of using these in the mouth?
    Is it suitable for repeated wear and tear?
    Are the fragile?

Real Name
    Thomas

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A very interesting idea M3P, but I would never compromise the interior dynamics of my existing stems and buttons. As a "slide-over" addition I think it would be a lot of fun, especially on my cobs. I'm thinking themes such as: holidays, fishing, model railroading, ham radio, favored blender, monograms, sports, or most anything really.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Do I like them , No!.... Sorry but far too outlandish for my taste.
    You say cleaning normally does not work, is that only in the EG's shown or would it work in a normal pipe stem?
    How safe is ABS Plastic, what are the long term effects of using these in the mouth?
    Is it suitable for repeated wear and tear?
    Are the fragile?
    Yeah they definitely aren't for everyone! Thanks for the feedback.

Traditional lending methods just do not work on the Double Helix. You'd need to soak it. Which is probably a turnoff for most.

The other snake stem (and future stems I am working on) have identical internals as a standard stem and can be cleaned and used as any other.

I have done research and there are other manufacturers using ABS for stems. It is durable and the stems are not fragile and can take abuse. But then that's the whole point of this - I'm giving away stems for free to get feedback and see what people think! I want people to try them out and say "this is a problem"

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    A very interesting idea M3P, but I would never compromise the interior dynamics of my existing stems and buttons. As a "slide-over" addition I think it would be a lot of fun, especially on my cobs. I'm thinking themes such as: holidays, fishing, model railroading, ham radio, favored blender, monograms, sports, or most anything really.
    Understandable concerns. Although the interior mechanics are the same for everything but the double helix. Even the double helix has a normal draw and still smokes well (I smoke it all the time) it's just a little more difficult to clean.

Thanks for the response!

Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Interesting new idea, but no order yet. Please keep us updated.
    ​Tom

Real Name
    Liz
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Pretty cool! I like the white one a lot.
    I'm absolutely amazed what these 3D printers can do. The technology to me is mind numbing.
    Liz

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Although I'm not sure they are for me, I see no difference with some of the stems I've seen on metal pipes and they are certainly no more decorative than one might see on a meerschaum pipe. The snake is not for me - I hate snakes.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Ha yeah, definitely not for everyone. Currently I'm working on a train/locomotive stem that will have the pipe bowl positioned where the smoke stack would be. It'll be a little large if you imagine it... But I think it would be fun.

Might even make a railroad track pipe stand/holder to accompany it.

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The 1st one is Certainly a Nightmare to try and get a pipe cleaner through but, I like it and the snake.
    As some have questioned, what is there durability to heat and teeth? As you may know some materials go through changes when subjected to heat and moisture.
    They expand and contract and some more then others. This happens with a pipes mortise and tenon but, is on a lot small scale because of the type of materials used.
    One does not want the stem to fall off while smoking nor be stuck either. If the material is too soft one may chew right through it also and if toxic or just distasteful
    it will certainly ruin an otherwise good smoke. Any insight into this material used?

Oh! And one other thing, stems are made to shine, does this material sand and polish easily?
    Last edited by RP McMurphy; 07-06-2016 at 18:27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast